Concerned about about new large stool

MooKibble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I switched Moo (18 yr old female calico) to Weruva Cats in the Kitchen grain-free wet cat food (from Purina kibble) about a month ago. I recently noticed that her stool is about twice the size of what it used to be and smells much more strongly than it used to. Is this cause for concern? Is it common for stools to change this much when switching from dry kibble to wet canned food?

I haven't noticed her straining, eating less or behaving differently. She loves her food A LOT!

Liz

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Since I don't know what it looked like originally, I can't say if larger now is too large. Your vet could tell you more about that aspect, I believe.

However, the stink issue makes me wonder if you could introduce a second brand, and alternate the two foods either daily, weekly, something like that :) (it's not the transition but the food you transitioned to).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which foods are you feeding, MooKibble MooKibble ? I think it's generally more common for poop from wet food to be smaller and less smelly because it's more usable/digestible. On the other hand, if your cat was only eating dry food and was constipated from it (because of a lack of water in her system) then the poop might have been unusually small.

All that said, if you're feeding some of the fishier Cats in the Kitchen foods -- there are a lot! -- that could be the answer to your question about smell. The pouch foods also tend to contain quite a bit of tapioca, which may not work well for her since it's pretty carby. I guess what I'm saying is that, depending on what you're feeding, I'd look first at reducing or cutting the fish or the tapioca (preferably one at a time) to see if you can figure out what might causing the poop changes.

Furballsmom Furballsmom 's thought on a second brand is a good idea no matter what since it's always good to have another brand on the menu: cats get bored easily plus there can be recalls and production or supply issues that limit food availability.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MooKibble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Since I don't know what it looked like originally, I can't say if larger now is too large. Your vet could tell you more about that aspect, I believe.

However, the stink issue makes me wonder if you could introduce a second brand, and alternate the two foods either daily, weekly, something like that :) (it's not the transition but the food you transitioned to).
That sounds like a good idea. I never considered a recall or supply changing. As for the size, you're right. I'll ask her vet. Thank you!!

MooKibble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which foods are you feeding, MooKibble MooKibble ? I think it's generally more common for poop from wet food to be smaller and less smelly because it's more usable/digestible. On the other hand, if your cat was only eating dry food and was constipated from it (because of a lack of water in her system) then the poop might have been unusually small.

All that said, if you're feeding some of the fishier Cats in the Kitchen foods -- there are a lot! -- that could be the answer to your question about smell. The pouch foods also tend to contain quite a bit of tapioca, which may not work well for her since it's pretty carby. I guess what I'm saying is that, depending on what you're feeding, I'd look first at reducing or cutting the fish or the tapioca (preferably one at a time) to see if you can figure out what might causing the poop changes.

Furballsmom Furballsmom 's thought on a second brand is a good idea no matter what since it's always good to have another brand on the menu: cats get bored easily plus there can be recalls and production or supply issues that limit food availability.

I'll write the first few meat ingredients for the sake of not having the longest post ever:

Chicken Frick A 'Zee (chicken broth, chicken)

Funk in the Trunk (chicken broth, chicken, TUNA, PUMPKIN )

Lamb Burger-ini (FISH BROTH, TUNA, lamb, lamb lung)

Kitty Gone Wild (FISH BROTH, SALMON, TUNA, SARDINE, MACKEREL)

Full ingredient list under nutritional info tab: Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Cuties Variety Pack Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3.2-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

They don't contain tapioca, but perhaps it's the fishy ingredients that's causing the stronger smell and the pumpkin that's making them larger?

Liz

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
perhaps it's the fishy ingredients that's causing the stronger smell and the pumpkin that's making them larger?
could be. What if you use just the two chicken ones for a few days and see if things change?

MooKibble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome! And, to get back to your earlier comment, yes, it could well be the fish. Fish can be a problem for some cats (plus they can get, essentially, addicted to it) so it's what I'd try eliminating first.

Moo is really cute!
Awww! I think so too! I'll tell her you said so!😻