Conan gets “rolled by a car”

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been four years since I got Conan back in the summer of 2018, and he’s charmed all the people around him, with his never-say-no sense of fun and adventure.

Part of that sense of fun was evading my efforts to keep him inside and going outside. Coyotes are all over, and I was afraid for him.

One day, back in early June, he ran a bit more aggressively than usual inside, then went and hid. I wasn't paying much attention. A bit later, I'm in the bedroom, and I see him run into the bedroom, then into a closet and hide there, instead of sitting at the foot of the bed like it's his, or giving a head-butt for a chin-scratching. This was unlike him, and I took a closer look. Turns out he appeared to have suffered some kind of a blow with something hard and heavy, which appeared to have caused him to "leak fluid" onto the fur near his head and neck. Oh, dearie me, off to the vet's we go.

(Others with similar experiences are welcome to chime in. This is, alas, a pertinent topic, even if one doesn't know it yet.)

32929C8E-0D3E-44FD-9726-893CF37761E0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you mean not to finish the story, since this happened in June? Is he OK?
He actually is okay, now, but it was a rough go for a while. The vets kept him for about a week, he had crystals in his urine, and he was pretty banged up, though no broken bones or any permanent injuries. The vets thought, at first, that he might have fallen from a tree (my yard is full of palms, which some cats like to climb), though he's really athletic. I suppose we can all make mistakes; then they said they thought he'd gotten rolled by a car. Which makes sense, since I'm at the end of a dead end street, and he might have sniffed one of the neighbors' cars too closely and didn't pay attention fast enough when they started.

Much much better now. No more crystals in the urine, either.

That picture was taken last night as he looked at me after gazing out the window.

For now, he's shown little or no interest in going back outside, so I think the event, whatever it was, chastened, if not traumatized him a bit.

I put this up to provide a heads up, as it were, to be better aware than I was.

Inside cats can suffer mishaps, too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad your handsome orange boy is okay now! My avatar and her sister were originally ferals, but made the decision that indoors only was better once their sister was killed by a coyote.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your handsome orange boy is okay now! My avatar and her sister were originally ferals, but made the decision that indoors only was better once their sister was killed by a coyote.
He's our buddy the Devil still! The other cats I think sometimes wish that car had gotten him. He still gets pretty rough in play sometimes. The other two kitties are starting down the path to Senior Status.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My two orange boys play rough, and the younger one still has to be "supervised" at times.