Compulsive Hunger - Adopted Barn-friend Always Feels Hungry- Help!

Wichien-maat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Cat Site.

I am hoping someone may have some experience, or information, with some behavioral complexities I'm managing with my adopted cat. This is a dash lengthy, to provide detail, so thank you for reading along.

A little over a year ago, I adopted a two month old kitten(very recently rescued) from the local Humane Society.

He was certainly skittish, and very shy- but endlessly sweet, when he had an option to warm up. His HS papers noted that he, as well as his sister, were found malnourished, and taken in from the barn at three weeks old(!).

Nearly a week into adopting him, he ran an extremely high risk of sepsis from a blockage in his intestines/colon(likely from a shift in nutrition from the barn, to the shelter, to home). Gratefully, the vet removed the blockage, and he has been nearly quite healthy, ever since. The vet suggested consistently keeping him on quality wet food, occasionally introducing dry from time to time, to gauge his digestive reaction. I've been fairly strict with what, and how much he has eaten. He is nearly a year, and a half year now, and eating combination dry, and wet food, just fine(at separate time intervals, to aid digestion).

I use the descriptor, "nearly quite healthy", as he has come a long way from his demeanor at the HS, but he still has some serious behavioral ticks.

He is intensely, obnoxiously food obsessive.
There are no boundaries.

Counters? -Might as well be the floor. Plastic? Teeth. Half a Banh-mi? Jalapeno-bits, and a partially eaten mini-baguette across the living room floor. Spiders? Cat-Bear Grylls, delicious.

It doesn't matter if he has just eaten, or what the food is. He will engorge himself until he vomits, then keep eating!

Not only am I concerned about training him to avoid the counters, and kitchen- but vicariously, I feel anxious just observing his habits. Psychologically, in his cat brain, he is always hungry! It must be so uncomfortable. Importantly, this is also unpleasant for my very patient, very understanding roommates(and their older animals).

I asked a beloved vet about these behaviors- She had mentioned it was very possible his mother wasn't receiving enough nutrients while the kittens were in-utero, certainly not feeding them enough while they were living as semi-feral, in the barn(this was not only suggestive by his HS adoption papers, vet reminded it's rather uncommon for a cat to give birth to only two kittens!).

If he were a puppy/dog, I may try beginning with some clicker-training, purely-positive training, and basic conditioning, with lots of positive reinforcement(I am more familiar with doggo-husbandry, then gato-husbandry), but.. he's a cat, and this is new territory, for me.

I would love to curb his counter-surfing, as well as his obsessive-food-seeking.

As per a little personal researching, and veterinary recommendations, I currently, consistently implement the following:
- Feed quality wet food 2-3 times a day, in different intervals, to imprint the idea that his resources will not be evaporating any time soon
- Positive reinforcement/distractions/little bits of food, if he is staying out of the kitchen(to establish the bedroom, or living room, is a positive base, where he can find resources)
- Removal of potential temptations/problem items(mostly counter food)
..Scattered kibble across the floor, as a distraction(often while the other cat is fed, the humans are eating dinner, or if Yarrow[food-monger]) seems particularly neurotic.
..Slow dispensing treat-ball.
..Ignoring begging, if persistent enough. Sometimes redirection with a bit of food in his bowl. Expulsion from the area-of-obsession, if threshold is crossed(removal from the kitchen, usually outside for a bit[though less, as winter approaches])

These strategies have been well and fine- but, seem such a temporary fix. Any advice, or former experience, for methods that are super-effective? Hopefully something not super-invasive, long-lasting, and positive?

I would love to find ways to manage, and reshape this behavior while he is relatively young, especially so we can work on other things!(like shyness, better sociability around strangers, confidence around the house, especially during household activity, etc.!)

Thank you again, so much, for reading!
Fingers-crossed, hoping there's a method for this madness.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi, and welcome to TCS!

i'm so glad that your Yarrow has you to care for him! :redheartpump:

i don't have experience in this area, but i'm sure someone who does have experience will be along shortly.

clicker training may be helpful, and we have a member who (if i remember correctly) does clicker training with her cat. jcat jcat , may i ask for your experience, and with clicker training with a cat, for the OP (original poster)?

we're here for you! :hugs:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a crazy food obsessed semi feral that over stuffs himself so much he throws up in his food bowl! I solved it by always leaving dry food out for him so he doesn't feel the need to over stuff himself. You can try removing his dry food an hour or so before dinner and not returning it until he eats his wet food. Or try feeding him 3 times a day at exactly the same time every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wichien-maat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Danteshuman!

I have considered this, but I have some hesitations.

I would like to continue to feed him primarily quality wet food, with some quality dry food. He has been great, physically- I'd never like him to re-experience a similar blockage, or digestive issue(still not entirely certain as to what caused the first, but very possibly diet-related).

When I adopted him, he was such a runt, a very small kitten. As such, he is still quite a small cat- 6, maybe 6.5lbs! I would like to avoid free-feeding an overweight, tiny cat(from what I understand, when animals are that small, obesity is potentially much more difficult on their structure/physio), in the future. I'm concerned if I free feed him, it will not solve the psych. concern, and he'll just be a round little cat, who believes he's starving(E.G. Problems upon problems!).

Perhaps it would fare better to find a way to feed him small portions, 3-6 times, a day. I am not home nearly that often, but I may be able to elicit a little help.

Wichien-maat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you as well, micknsnicks2mom!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, wow, does all that sound familiar! Our Mowgli began life as a feral, was found inside a rain barrel (who knows how long he was trapped in there?), was fed raw by his first owner (tests showed he can't digest it because of the fat content) and came to us with E coli and IBD. He was not surprisingly malnourished and has been absolutely obsessed with food since we got him over 4 years ago. He also has food allergies: chicken and all grains are taboo. He's on a special canned diet with a few pieces of kibble as a lunchtime snack.

He scratched my legs so badly when I was getting his food ready that I resorted to clicker training to get him to sit and wait. He also learned to stay off the counters while we were home. There are lots of training videos on YouTube, plus several books on clicker training cats. The good news is that food-obsessed pets are very easy to clicker train, since they'll do almost anything for a treat.

We can't turn our backs on any food on the table or leave anything edible sitting out. All items in the pantry have to be in plastic storage containers (have you ever heard of a cat eating uncooked pasta? Mowgli will.) Cabinets containing food have child locks.

Mowgli has fixed meal times:
Canned food at 5 a.m. and 5 p.m., a few pieces of kibble (now 5, though it used to be 10) at noon, 3 tiny meat treats during his late afternoon clicker training session, and a bit of cat milk at 7:30 p.m.. We've found that he's much less anxious about food if we're absolutely punctual with it. We have an automatic feeder with a timer for those times when we can't be home when he's supposed to be fed.

He was 9 months old when we got him in March 2013, and I figured once we got him healthy and used to having a full belly, the food obsession would stop. Now I figure it never will, but the punctual meals spread over the day and the clicker training have helped.

Mowgli is a compulsive chewer, even now that all but his front teeth have been extracted due to FORLs. He destroyed shoes, tablecloths, pillows, etc.. It got so bad that we had to get sheet glass for our oak table. He still chews, but now I make sure he always has several cardboard boxes and corrugated cardboard scratcher to demolish. That has really helped.

Good luck!

Wichien-maat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think an auto-feeder that dispenses a small, controlled amount, could be very helpful.

Yarrow is.. very food motivated, I think Clicker training is a total possibility, as well.

Preventative measures are always helpful.
I am going to continue to consistently work with him, hopefully we'll work these little hiccups out over time.

Thanks so much, folks!