complications post dental extractions. We are struggling with food.

ClayMabel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I want to thank anyone for reading this and their input.

One week ago, Mabel had 5 teeth extracted, including her lower canines. Surgery went well. When she returned home she was on simbadol and really strange. We fed her the wet food she usually eats (Tiki Cat mousse) and took away her dry food per the vets instructions.

After the simbadol wore off 3 days later, she was struggling to eat. She would lick at her food a few times and then leave it. I tried mixing it in water, soaking her dry food in water, different flavors, different brands, different bowls/plates, hand feeding- nothing worked.
I called the vet after 3 days of very minimal eating and he recommended Mirataz and an anti nausea tablet. We started that Thursday afternoon.

Within a couple hours, I could tell she was hungry (scavenging our kitchen floors for crumbs) but she would lick her food only a couple times. It had been almost a week, so I gave her the dry food she’s been eating for years. Immediate purrs, and her face went right into the bowl. I was relieved. Until the next day at 12. She had diarrhea/loose stool, which she has had since going off of the Simbadol. At 12:30,
she had gone to the litter box 3 times. By 1, she had gone to the litter box 7 times (diarrhea each time) and began crying as she approached the box.

She began pacing, yowling in pain. We brought her back to the vet. Temp was fine, x rays showed nothing, empty stomach, but being back at the vet was a huge stress to her and she began foaming at the mouth. (Apparently she did this post surgery as well and the doctor said it’s likely her stress response.) While we were in his office, she had diarrhea again. I’ve never seen her act so in pain. Vet said he thinks it’s bad gas pain from the reintroduction of dry food and her eating too much at once. Again- neither of the foods we’ve fed her post-surgery have been new to her. She refuses to eat her favorite wet foods and she now only wants her dry food, which apparently is what is making her sick?

He sent us home with bland food instructions (chicken and rice) and an antibiotic and gabapentin. When we got her home she hid from us and was crying, pacing- finally sleep, and once she seemed a little settled, I got the gabapentin in her. This knocked her out for a couple hours but then she finally came to, seeking affection and acting a little bit like herself.

Now what? I don’t know. We haven’t started the antibiotic. I’ve stopped the mirataz. She will eat chunks of chicken at a time (no rice) but still wants her dry food. I’m not sure how much bland food I should be making sure she eats per day, and what to look out for. Oh! And she drank a lot of water when we got home too- which I thought was probably good. She is pretty good at drinking water, always has been.

Mabel is 8 years old, small domestic shorthair, no history of illness, petite sized at approx 7lbs.

I’m grateful for any advice.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, I'm glad you joined the site and came here to ask for advice about Mabel. It does sound like your vet is on top of her medical needs. One suggestion to get her to eat would be to try an all meat baby food, absolutely no seasonings or flavorings, just meat with broth. Here is an example: Beech-Nut® beef & beef broth Stage 1 Baby Food
And here is a TCS Article with tips for getting her to eat: How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

From my own personal experience with our present cat having had two major dental surgeries and his canines extracted I was advised not to give him any dry food for two weeks. At that time I was trying to transition him to wet food but like Mabel he preferred dry. He was given Mirtazapine but only for a very short time. He ended up doing fine and I hope the same is true for Mabel. :alright: Please keep us posted on her progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ClayMabel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, I'm glad you joined the site and came here to ask for advice about Mabel. It does sound like your vet is on top of her medical needs. One suggestion to get her to eat would be to try an all meat baby food, absolutely no seasonings or flavorings, just meat with broth. Here is an example: Beech-Nut® beef & beef broth Stage 1 Baby Food
And here is a TCS Article with tips for getting her to eat: How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles

From my own personal experience with our present cat having had two major dental surgeries and his canines extracted I was advised not to give him any dry food for two weeks. At that time I was trying to transition him to wet food but like Mabel he preferred dry. He was given Mirtazapine but only for a very short time. He ended up doing fine and I hope the same is true for Mabel. :alright: Please keep us posted on her progress.
Thank you very much. This is my first run in with her and I guess it was just so difficult to see her howling in pain and acting so differently- and I’m having a hard time accepting that’s just from gas and a quick food transition. Even now on the gabapentin she’s just so not herself and it’s hard to watch. At least now she’s seeking out snuggles.

I’ll check out the baby food idea and then I was also thinking of getting a high grade dry food for sensitive stomachs if that’s what she wants. With only the 5 teeth gone, the vet said yesterday when he looked that she’s healing really well.