Complications after urine test

Debbie F

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a urinalysis done yesterday. This morning, her first urination after the test, was red/pink urine. Has anyone experienced this with their cat? The vet is closed today and not available for emergencies. Help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How did the vet collect the urine? Check the invoice to see if they denote which method was used.

Drawing urine with a needle directly from the bladder (Cystocentesis) seems to the preferred mode nowadays and I have never heard of it causing there to be blood in the urine afterward. Although, the sample could have contained a small amount of blood by virtue of a needle being used. Do you have the urinalysis results? That would indicate if there was blood found in the urine at the time it was collected, making it more likely that the blood was already there to begin with.

Manual compression could possibly cause some trauma to the bladder, but not considered a common event. Catheterization might be the most likely to cause some trauma to the urethra, but it should heal quickly.

Keep checking her urine to see if it disappears on its own. I am hoping you find no discoloration the next time.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Debbie F

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did the vet collect the urine? Check the invoice to see if they denote which method was used.

Drawing urine with a needle directly from the bladder (Cystocentesis) seems to the preferred mode nowadays and I have never heard of it causing there to be blood in the urine afterward. Although, the sample could have contained a small amount of blood by virtue of a needle being used. Do you have the urinalysis results? That would indicate if there was blood found in the urine at the time it was collected, making it more likely that the blood was already there to begin with.

Manual compression could possibly cause some trauma to the bladder, but not considered a common event. Catheterization might be the most likely to cause some trauma to the urethra, but it should heal quickly.

Keep checking her urine to see if it disappears on its own. I am hoping you find no discoloration the next time.
Thank you for your reply. The receipt does not specify which method was used for urine collection. Yes, done by internal medicine vet. I just spoke to our primary care vet and she thinks they used the needle method and that they probably hit a blood vessel. She recommended monitoring her next urinations and said they should be normal by morning. If not, 2.5 hour trip to Animal ER care.