Community stray Tortie had 9 kittens, all different and some look very RARE!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such sweet kittens! :redheartpump:

I'm going to guess from these pictures that dad is most likely either red and white in color, or cream and white. Of course, multiple dads are possible too, but a single red and white (or cream and white) dad carrying dilute (blue) could easily produce this litter of kittens.

Here are the colors I'm seeing in your pictures:
  • Mittens, Max, Marley - I'm assuming these are the red / red and white kittens.
  • Mouse - she is dilute tortie and white, the light marks on her forehead and under her eye appear to be cream patches. As she gets older, the other cream patches on her body will probably become more visible. Lovely!
  • Mocha - cream. It really is a pretty, delicate color, isn't it?
  • Maple, Maybell and Minnie - these all look like black tortie and white females. I think Minnie's body may appear a bit lighter because she has more orange tabby mixed in to her black areas (brindled). Her coloring will become clearer as she matures, but the brownish tone of her body suggests black tortie, not dilute, and in the picture where the kittens are nursing, you can see the three tortie and white girls have similar body color. Dilute tortie would be more like Mouse's body color.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, it's possible that mom and some of her kittens are "smoke" versions of the colors above. Is mom's coat white at the base of the hair? It looks a bit like that in the picture where the kittens are nursing. Smoke is a dominant trait, causing the base of each hair to be white. You can identify a smoke by parting the hair and looking at the base.

Congratulations on taking in this mom and helping her with such a big, healthy litter -- you can surely be proud! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeLee42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • I think Minnie's body may appear a bit lighter because she has more orange tabby mixed in to her black areas (brindled). Her coloring will become clearer as she matures, but the brownish tone of her body suggests black tortie, not dilute, and in the picture where the kittens are nursing, you can see the three tortie and white girls have similar body color. Dilute tortie would be more like Mouse's body color.
Hard to tell in the pics (I am not a very good photographer lol) but Minnie def has quite varying patches of color, some dark, some light, definitely smoke in some areas of her fur, and her fur is a mixture of short and long hairs in different places, she is ALWAYS having a bad hair day LOL

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell in the pics (I am not a very good photographer lol) but Minnie def has quite varying patches of color, some dark, some light, definitely smoke in some areas of her fur, and her fur is a mixture of short and long hairs in different places, she is ALWAYS having a bad hair day LOL
It will definitely be interesting to see how her coat develops as she grows! Young longhaired kittens often have lighter and smoky looking patches to their fur, and the patchy effect you are seeing may also have something to do with Minnie being the runt of the litter. However, it's certainly possible that she may have some unusual patches that are not obvious in the pictures right now. If you end up keeping her, we'd all love to see more pictures of her as her coat matures! :)

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a very pregnant stray in late October. On Nov 5 she gave birth to nine babies. We thought she was done after the first five, but an hour later she moved to a different room and gave birth to four more. All very small, one only weighed 60grams! She did her best but lost one within the first 24 hours, the others, I am very proud to say have all reached their 8 week milestone. A description of each kitten: Mittens - long hair orange male with 4 white paws. Mouse - a silver grey long hair female with 4 white paws and white mark on forehead. Max - a dark orange tabby male. Marley - a medium shade orange tabby male. Mocha - a rare cream color tabby female. Maple - a dilute torti/calico female with what looks like an orange maple leaf outline around her face. Maybell - A mostly black calico female with orange forehead and white underbelly/paws. And our little miracle Minnie - weighed a mere 60 grams at birth and at 8 weeks still fits in the palm of my hand. She looks to be a chimera cat, with a line right down her nose, orange tabby on left side face that runs right down her front leg, and black calico on her right side face and down her right leg, with a dilute tortie body. I am totally smitten and in love with them all!
There are only a handful of Mocha cats in N America and about 30 in Thailand

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is named Mocha, but she is cream in color, not mocha.
My bad, I once had a judge lecture me that my cat was not Black Amber, her name was Black Amber and her registration was Black Tortie. Sorry about that