Community Cats On Campus

Josie901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I need some advice on handling the feral cats on my college campus. We are located on a small plot of land in the middle of a big city, and the cat population has become an issue over the past two years. Management has never responded to concerns about them, so I worked with a local clinic to trap and fix them, so that at least the population will not grow. However, I feel like I could be doing more for these cats, especially in the winter. I have seen some of them seek shelter under cars and in the walls of buildings, so I want to do something to give them a better shelter. I want to try building some, but the issue I keep running into is that most shelters use straw, which needs to be changed, and there will be no one around after I graduate to maintain the shelter. Also I am not sure how durable the homemade shelters are, and they would need to last a while. I have tried getting other students involved, but my campus is very small and there is not a lot of interest, definitely not enough for anyone to take over caring for them after I am gone. Does anyone have any recommendations for the shelters, or other advice for caring for the cats? I don't feed them, I think they get most of their food from the little farm on campus, but I always wonder whether I should be feeding them as well. I am just concerned for the wellbeing of the little furry friends during this cold winter, any advice would be great, thanks!

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe put food out for them and they will start coming to you instead of going to the farm, they will get familiar with you, as far as building a shelter I'm not sure what you could do. Maybe find a place that they go for shelter and put blankets and straw in it for now, don't worry about changing it, as long as it keeps them warm it will be ok:happycat:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be good to feed them, except they will learn to depend on you and you will be leaving. Where is your college located?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josie901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be good to feed them, except they will learn to depend on you and you will be leaving. Where is your college located?
In Nashville, right outside of the city!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for taking an interest - and not only being concerned about these little guys but actually wanting to DO something! (Most people stop at 'noticing.') And a BIG thanks for spaying and neutering them - - - that alone has saved your campus from dozens - if not hundreds - of unwanted kittens.

Hopefully someone can come up with a shelter/organization that can help you.

Shelters can be made without straw - but the straw helps insulate against the cold alot. And unfortunately blankets freeze when wet - - - which ends up actually pulling body heat away. Putting the shelters off the ground a bit helps too. The "double rubbermaid' shelters you're probably seeing online actually last (generally) for quite some time - - one of ours has lasted 8 years now!

I was thinking - do you have any teachers you can talk to? Professors will obviously be there past graduation - - and you might find one with a kind heart with whom you can share your concerns (and explain what you've done so far for them - which is ALOT!) about what happens when YOU graduate. Explain that you're looking for a kind, animal-loving teacher who might be willing to carry on what you've started - - and suggest that the teacher could then perhaps reach out to other teachers, so that no one person carries the full burden.

Aso - have you talked personally to the low-cost clinic that fixed them? If you explain your issue - and what you've tried to handle yourself - while they might not be able to actually take them in to adopt them out -----they might have suggestions as to who you could get in touch with to help. They also may know some people who are "colony caretakers" who might be willing to help out also.

You might also contact Alley Cat Allies. They basically deal almost exclusively with feral/stray kitties ("community cats" - and they can be emailed or called (sometimes it takes a few attempts - they're always overwhelmed." Take a look at their website. They have quite a few suggestions - AND they have lists of groups that can sometimes help - or at least help find you help. A link to their homepage is below:

Home

Good luck - and if nothing else - know you've saved alot of death and starvation simply from keeping the ones there from having babies. We'll all be thinking of you - keep us posted!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nashville, wow! You are at the hub of country music stars, many of which are big donators to feral animal causes! So it follows there should be lots of cat groups devoted to rescue, especially since money for support may be there? I would contact your local no kill shelters or local vets. They know who’s who in the rescue tnr business. Seek help for your little ? colony for assistance with the concept of taking over when you graduate. ACA is an excellent source as noted above. They used to have a link where you put in your zip and it gave you a list of people who rescued/tnr.
Thanks for what you’re doing already preventing unwanted kittens, breeding males killing kittens, fights/injuries over breeding and the list goes on. I would feed the if they seem gaunt, bad coats, all the signs of not enough to eat. If not maybe somebody’s feeding them besides what they are getting from the farm?
Such caring from a college student! I’m impressed! Your future employer is going to get a good deal!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t have any advice other than what’s already been expertly said by my fellow TCS members, but I wanted to stop by and say thank you for caring! You’re terrific!
:clapcat: