Combining flea treatments

Wend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone.
I feed a number of community cats, some of whom find their way into my enclosed porch. I allow some of them to stay napping or waiting for their meals since they are friendly, and though they wiggle, I am able to apply topical flea medicine on them (Frontline Plus, as it is what I can afford). However, one of them was extra skittish this morning and got maybe a third of his dose on. I will be checking him daily for fleas this month. Should I find fleas, will it be safe to give him nitenpyram (I have it as Capstar and CapAction) daily until it's time for the next Frontline dose? Thanks for any advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the Frontline Plus is working for your cats, you might just get by with what you got on the one cat since he 'hangs around' with the other cats and could be considered somewhat 'covered' just by virtue of the other cats' protection.

However, can you ask a vet their opinion? Capstar contains Nitenpyram and because it is ingested it goes into the bloodstream. Frontline Plus contains Fipronil and Methoprene (IGR-flea sterilizer) and is only spread through the sebaceous glands. So, it could be possible from that standpoint. I have heard of starting out with Capstar and then giving another longer lasting flea treatment at the same time, but I am not sure how that works if you would want to continue administering Capstar for a whole month.