Colonoscopy

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blood work showed blood count very low. Dr wants to have a colonoscopy. Saw Dr. Walter (he's the cardiologist) and he gave me a prescription for iron pills. Said they sometimes to a blood transfusion for low blood count, but didn't recommend it now. Colonoscopy is the answer. I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist for this Tuesday mornning. Not looking forward to this at all.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lana, it's not that bad. The worst part is the prep. The test itself.....you fall asleep and then you wake up. I had it done a few years ago. 

You need to find out what's going on and this is the best way.

Sending you lots of 
for a good test.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a coincidence. I just had my second routine colonoscopy yesterday (history in my family), and everything was good. I started getting this done 5 years ago.

As Winchester points out, the very worst of this is the colon prep. If you are permitted to do a fleet enema which is a bottle of carbonated drink that tastes like lemon, this is preferable to the 4 liters of Peg 3350 that some gastro docs insist on.

http://www.rexall.ca/articles/view/3638/Fleet-Enema

Very best of luck with your experience. Once you get passed the prep, everything is pretty much smooth sailing as far as the procedure itself.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the 'prep' is the worst part. Now they have just a tiny bottle to drink, in the past they make you drink QUARTS of prep in a short time. Just keep thinking - if they don't find anything then you can wait 10 years before the next one! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul had one a couple of years ago and he had to drink that giant portion, but I understand they have simplified things a bit. Hope this dr is up on the easier procedure. I am a bit concerned about the extremely low blood count, but hope it's just something like polyps that caused it. Paul had some polyps removed during his procedure. Boy it's not fun getting "older". Thank you all for your comments and support. Will keep you posted. Right now I am feeling tired a good portion of the time, but I imagine it's because of the low blood count. The only positive thing is that my thyroid number has improved - not what it should be - but much better.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know you could drink a Fleet enema...and not sure that I'd advise it. 

Generally the GI docs give detailed pre-op instructions.  Especially in light of anemia and possible causes, I'd follow them to a T.

Let us know how things go.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know you could drink a Fleet enema...and not sure that I'd advise it.  ;)

I had to chuckle at that also. I know you don't drink a Fleet enema, but doing one is part of the process, in addition to drinking the solution they prescribe.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw the dr today and colonoscopy is scheduled for June 4 ----- isn't that exciting? Will be glad when this whole thing is over.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw the dr today and colonoscopy is scheduled for June 4 isn't that exciting? Will be glad when this whole thing is over.
lt'll feel exciting when you get the relief of knowing you're okay 

l posted about having my first one done last year, and everyone said the worst part is the prep. l didn't mind the prep at all. l did have to stay very close to the bathroom for a while, but it was fine.

And when they wheeled me in and the anesthetist started talking to me and giving me "the juice" l did my best to fight it so l could feel it longer 
  lt felt sooo gooood!

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to chuckle at that also. I know you don't drink a Fleet enema, but doing one is part of the process, in addition to drinking the solution they prescribe.
Sorry! Its the Fleet Phospho-Soda or Citro-Mag drink, not the enema product that I linked to. Glad you got a chuckle out of it anyway.

Last edited: