College dorm room a good home for kitten?

mistergutsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

So here's the deal, a couple weeks ago we found a kitten in the middle of the road and saved it from getting run over and it followed us back to our dorm so we decided we would hold onto it and try to find its owner. He had no tags and no chip and up until today, we've tried every way of finding his owner and it is pretty clear his owner doesn't care enough to try and get his kitten back. Here's the problem: we are college students living in a dorm (which is just a wing of a hotel) and a couple people are wanting to keep the kitten and have it live trapped in our small dorm room for the rest of the year, while most others agree that the best thing for the kitten would probably be the shelter so he can find a new capable family and home. The kitten bites quite a bit and really doesn't seem to be very happy here; he bolts out the door and runs whenever he gets the opportunity. Am I correct in thinking that a small dorm room is not a place for a cat to be living, and that the best thing to do is to give it to the shelter? I've tried convincing them but they keep maintaining that "he's just a kitten" and "he just has a lot of energy" and that he's "not unhappy." I need some help convincing them, or I'm just gonna take it to the shelter without them knowing. Any thoughts? And sorry it's so long, I'm just pretty heated.

Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with you. The kitten should go to a local no-kill shelter where it can be given shots, de-wormed, spayed or neutered, and a proper home found.

The kitten is not a toy for the amusement of college students. Kittens need care and that means taking responsibility. From your description the kitten does not sound happy. I hope it is at least being well-fed. Also, kittens will bite if not taught otherwise. It may be over-stimulated.

Please let us know how this gets resolved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistergutsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, the cat has been living in my room and I've made sure he has lot's to eat and drink and has a litter box and everything. Everyone pampers him, I just really think a dorm room is no place for a cat. I'll make sure to update when something has happened. Thanks for the reply!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yeah, the cat has been living in my room and I've made sure he has lot's to eat and drink and has a litter box and everything. Everyone pampers him, I just really think a dorm room is no place for a cat. I'll make sure to update when something has happened. Thanks for the reply!
IF you want to keep the kitten, make sure it has possibilites for climping,  shape your room as 3D.   A couple of planks across.   Perhaps some  secured shelf to climb on. Even a couple of thick ropes across.  Play with it a lot.  Have perhaps a bird feeding station outside your window if its possible.

A student room is no ideal for a kitten, yet I know at least one breeder whom had her whole family of cats in her student room, as she hadnt nothing better at that time.  Being a responsible breeder you arent making no thick money, as the proverb says....

So better a loving home in a student room, than a so so shelter.  But a good no kill shelter, where they are good at finding adoptive homes, is better than a random student holding a kitten just for fun.

YOU sound serious and sincere and honorable.  But we know quite a few students arent, holding cats for amusement during the term, and dumping them as soon the year is over...  Its why most campus areas are full of abandoned cats...

Last edited:

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a student as well living in an apartment with my cat (and now her kittens) and she's always been okay here, but I understand traditional dorms are much smaller than apartments. When she was at her most active as a kitten I harness trained her and took her on walks, this helped with her desire to be outside (we rescued her off the street), her social skills, and gave her a chance to burn off some energy so that's always something you could try if you decide to keep the kitten. I think one very important thing to consider when making this decision is will the kitten have a home after the term has ended? I know so many people who adopted animals without telling their parents that they lived with and ended up having to return the animals to the shelter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you. The kitten should go to a local no-kill shelter where it can be given shots, de-wormed, spayed or neutered, and a proper home found.

The kitten is not a toy for the amusement of college students. Kittens need care and that means taking responsibility. From your description the kitten does not sound happy. I hope it is at least being well-fed. Also, kittens will bite if not taught otherwise. It may be over-stimulated.

Please let us know how this gets resolved.

:yeah: