Collar For Cats.?

Evabrown1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a six-month-old kitten that has gotten out of the house a few times. I am trying to put a collar on her with a pet I’d tag but she seems to get it off no matter what type are use. I tried the breakaway collars and the good old-fashioned buckle up collars. Twice I have found my baby wiggle the collar up into her mouth and was gagging and her mouth bound open. I do have her microchipped,but most people around where I live would not bother to check if they found her. Any suggestions on a good and safe collar that she can’t Houdini her way out of or end up gagging herself on

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had an issue with collars on a few different cats. One cat had a leather rhinestone collar that had a buckle AND elastic built in. My other girl has a collar I believe is from Whisker City. My other girl has a collar from the etsy shop Pugs2Persians. Stewart was wearing a collar that was likely Whisker City when he still needed a tag to access gates and feeders.
An alternative thought is getting a comfortable H style harness and letting your cat wear a harness. I have those from Pugs2Persians as well. You should be able to clip a tag onto it with information if you really feel your cat is either a sprinter or an indoor outdoor, but I'm sure this is up for some controversy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beastie Bands. They are the one that my boy hasn't managed to slip. The getting in the mouth means you have it too loose. Two fingers should fit under the collar and with a kitten you need to be checking fit daily.

For tags I get my collar and tags through boomerang Tags online. They sell tags that slid over the collar so you don't have to worry about tags falling off or bothering your cat.

Two of my cats also have radio frequency tags while the troublemaker has a GPS. I do recommend a radiotherapy frequency tracker (like TabCat) because it helps locate your cat if they get out. The TabCat system batteries last six months according to the materials (but mine are hitting a year and still going strong). Just check batteries once a month and you have a way to track down your cat if he gets out. I like that the TabCat doesn't rely on Bluetooth pairing or crowd location, essentially it is a closed locked system.

Here is my girl with her full system. She is only 8 pounds and tiny, the tracker is a little bigger than a quarter.
IMG_20180302_055139.jpg

Also, just a commentary on microchips. Remember to register them with the manufacturer, not just the system that your vet or the shelter advised. I have my guys registered in three systems. Microchips only work if your local rescues or vets will check the systems you are registered with. So it pay to know who they check with.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, just a commentary on microchips. Remember to register them with the manufacturer, not just the system that your vet or the shelter advised. I have my guys registered in three systems. Microchips only work if your local rescues or vets will check the systems you are registered with. So it pay to know who they check with.
:yeah: Paying to have a microchip inserted or adopting a cat that already has one doesn't mean that the microchip is somehow automatically updated with your contact information. You need to contact the microchip company and get your contact information into their system and associated with the microchip number. It would be helpful to have an ID tag made with the microchip number and name of the microchip company on it to make it easier for a shelter or vet to know which company to contact to get the cat get home.

Collars need to be snug but still allow two fingers to slide underneath. If your cat is getting the collar over its mouth, the collar is on too loosely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evabrown1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The color was snug. Originally I was using the two finger method but she kept on getting it off so I tightened it slightly. She also has a different personality with a collar on. She becomes very sullen and doesn’t wanna do anything. It’s like she’s totally pissed off that I put it on her.

I have registered for him on the microchip company is website. But I didn’t think about checking with our local shelter to see what they use. Thank you for that suggestion.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She becomes very sullen and doesn’t wanna do anything. It’s like she’s totally pissed off that I put it on her.
Haha, I had a boy that was super grumpy when I first put a collar on him (at 4 months old). It only took a few days for it to become a completely normal part of him (he's the orange boy in my profile pic), and now if I take it off he seems to look around carefully, like "What's different? Part of me is missing."

Cats are drama queens. Benefits of the collar, to me, outweighed him not loving it at first.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, I had a boy that was super grumpy when I first put a collar on him (at 4 months old). It only took a few days for it to become a completely normal part of him (he's the orange boy in my profile pic), and now if I take it off he seems to look around carefully, like "What's different? Part of me is missing."

Cats are drama queens. Benefits of the collar, to me, outweighed him not loving it at first.
I personally do not recommend using a radio anything on a cat. Current research shows extremely horrific health effects from exposure to radiofrequency. I put my phone on airplane mode when not using and I highly recommend getting rid of your smart meters as they really cause cancer. Both my cat and I got tumors at the same time one year after the gas smart meters were installed next door. I am currently trying to get them off my block.
See:
ntp.niehs.nih.gov
saferemr.com
bioiniative.org
sagereports.com
ncbi.nim.nih.gov

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I wanted to mention, from a friend of mine to whom I mentioned this discussion, that after he did a little research it appears the radio frequency items are very short-range and also can be rendered nonfunctional if there's something between you and said cat like a wall building or whatever. Just so you-all know ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evabrown1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beastie Bands. They are the one that my boy hasn't managed to slip. The getting in the mouth means you have it too loose. Two fingers should fit under the collar and with a kitten you need to be checking fit daily.

For tags I get my collar and tags through boomerang Tags online. They sell tags that slid over the collar so you don't have to worry about tags falling off or bothering your cat.

Two of my cats also have radio frequency tags while the troublemaker has a GPS. I do recommend a radiotherapy frequency tracker (like TabCat) because it helps locate your cat if they get out. The TabCat system batteries last six months according to the materials (but mine are hitting a year and still going strong). Just check batteries once a month and you have a way to track down your cat if he gets out. I like that the TabCat doesn't rely on Bluetooth pairing or crowd location, essentially it is a closed locked system.

Here is my girl with her full system. She is only 8 pounds and tiny, the tracker is a little bigger than a quarter.
View attachment 221089

Thank you for telling me about Beastie Bands..I ordered one and it should get here tomorrow!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I wanted to mention, from a friend of mine to whom I mentioned this discussion, that after he did a little research it appears the radio frequency items are very short-range and also can be rendered nonfunctional if there's something between you and said cat like a wall building or whatever. Just so you-all know ;)
That is why Link has GPS. I've never had Rocket or Nightfury be out a range the few times I've used it or when I tested it in early days. Link though is usually several houses away and too far to be picked up. Since he is the trouble child of the bunch he gets more intensive tracking. In most cases though an indoor only cat will be very close to home for the first 24 hours they get out. So it can help in finding a cat who squeezes into a tiny space or in a bush.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
slightly off topic, --but not really ;), gosh darn it it's nice to be able to purraise again :thumbsup:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE:
We have deleted a few posts that were taking the thread off-topic. It related to the effects of radiofrequencies on cats. If you would like to look into it please go to this thread: Radiofrequency, Radio Collars Smart Meters And Cat Health
Here is a possible solution to a cat collar that doesn't need a hanging tag that might bother your cat.you could cut the bell off.
Etsy has a collar that is called gopuppyid that doesn't have anything hanging rather your name and phone number are on the collar itself and you can say reward too. Maybe better for your cat.
Custom Personalized Embroidered Nylon Breakaway Cat Collar W/Bell