Cold, snow, and ice/Gardening

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cold, snow and forecasted ice storm has me down. It seems we have snow and clouds at least every other day. A few days ago I started some herb and lettuce seeds, followed by my onion seeds. Today in defiance of the ice storm coming, I plan to get my celery seeds in the trays. It is a little early for the lettuce but I thought I could harvest it indoors, rather than plant it out. I have lettuce seeds to plant for outside later. I am going stir crazy not being able to play in the garden!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Next month I will start leek seeds. They have an extremely long growing season and so starting them a few months early gives me a better chance of getting big leeks in the fall. Store bought leeks are crazy expensive. I have always bought the little pots to start them in but recently read that you can use cut pieces of toilet paper rolls so I am going to give that a try.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a tiered growing thing that stands in the corner of a room for lettuce and things inside. I think that would be good to grow because you can just harvest and enjoy. You don't need a polinator.

I often have tuplips start poking up in the middle of winter here but this year I don't see any. Since my yard is mostly sand/mud right now I've hesitated walking out to look but I don't see any from the house. I think having my yard torn up is making me even more antsy to go plant some grass!! Of course the birds have feasted off the grass seed that was put down. I don't really have room to do any indoor gardening. My MIL has one of those greenhouse like windows at her kitchen sink. I don't think mine would do well becaue it would get a ton of afternoon sun in the summer. And after a pine branch hit above that window last year in a storm; I don't think I'd trust the tree by a window like that.