Cold Cats Wont Share Shelter. Temps Approaching 5c.

RussRuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I've been living with my cat and my Wifes cat for some time, When we moved to a house finally from an apartment we made the decision to put them out in the garage so we could focus on toddler care.

Maggie , A large rather daft shorthair was happy in a cardboard box on its side with her snooza cuddler (a donut shaped warm bed) and Cassy a runt Main Coone was happy in a corner with just her cuddler.

However , The work going on in the garage means its not really a safe place for them. Nor is there space any more. So I built them a shelter recycling an old futon bed frame screws and all and other bits of timber. It has quite thick walls, almost no draft and a roof that lets in more light then heat (for Summer). The door has a linen curtain pleated over the door to trap warm air a little.

The plan was, Both of them together would generate enough heat for a microclimate inside. Their cuddlers were placed on a thick wool carpet offcuts and the unit is on wheels, So off the ground.

However, despite previously residing in very close quarters the daft large short hair refuses to go in while the other cat is there (despite them not fighting in years) which means each night I'm forced to make Cassys bed with some old clothes and linen to ensure shes warm enough and the daft one sits out the front of the shelter on her carpet and cuddler.

I've tried gradually introducing her, Shell be in there for 20-60 seconds without complaining but seems to have decided she deserves her own separate shelter. I try to put her in there at night (when Cassy is in) when its cold and she wont budge and bites me. Cassy does not make a sound and does not mind her presence.

I've tried waiting till its very cold, (2am) going out placing her bed back in the shelter... She meows until she wakes our toddler and refuses to go in. I have to sit it in front.

Its completely dry in there, Even in a storm, The gaps are insulated and blocked with foam and theirs no chemical smell as I used organic Tung oil to seal the timber. The nutty smell of which has long since faded.

Its very very heavy and does not shift or move in wind. Its starting to look like I have to cut it in half.

Does anyone have any similar experience or ideas? I was hoping instincts would work with the daft one but a vet or two has suggested shes mentally ill. She did always like to poop/wee on our pillows/bed/couch :\.

Their both around 13 years old.

I'm buying some feliway (calming pheromone) today, But ive found that completely useless in the past.

Curtain over door and foam insulation in gaps added since:
20180402_162530 (1).jpg

Showing the space inside:
Screenshot from 2018-03-14 17-52-22.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RussRuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This shows the width a bit better, Enough space for 3 cats really.
20180402_1625422.jpg

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how to suggest a solution for you, but those constructions are beautiful! Good luck with catties

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if Maggie would be willing to stay inside if you put up a divider in the middle so that there were two separate rooms. If she doesn’t see Cassy and has her own space she might be okay. I don’t think she is mentally ill, but change is very difficult for an older cat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking that you should build them cat rampshighways all over the rooms so the cats can avoid the toddler and be inside. I'm biased though. I'm in the " I would no sooner let my cats run around outside alone than I would let a 3-5 year old child!" Camp. So again I'm biased. Many people have cats and little kids together. Maine coons are the golden retrievers of cats, so you lucked out on that one
I hope you find a solution. Also Maine coons run hot so she may not be that cold. Plus they are scared & stressed. Also other cats/animals may be using your yard/kitty palace.

RussRuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou Susanm9006 for the divider solution, I'm going to try that, a linen curtain offcut that begins just offset from the entrance so each side is visible as seperate if a kitty sticks her head in. I wont go the full height so the heat is shared.

Danteshuman: Thankyou and I hear you, Believe me we persevered through seven years of hiding them from landlords after all our applications with them were denied our family told us to give them up especially when wife was pregnant but I changed their tray five times a day hid them during inspections and they occupied an entire ensuite bathroom for her safety, Expensive! For some reason Maggie poops three times a day no matter what fancy vet diet we put her on. Just our good luck I guess , The vets told us its normal. Any way after a cat door installation, full in/out access in our house she kept pooping/weeing on our couch which was a bit much to find before work in the morning, Especially after hours cleaning the couch. I would like to be kinder to them but until things calm down its about sanity! Their used to be other cats but I (politely) chased them off with a broom enough times they decided our yard was occupied, Your right Maggie did not like them at all. Cassy wanted to be their friend.

RussRuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well after putting a cloth curtain up between them and having momentary success multiple times I gave up and spent a day adding a door. Which FINALLY worked! I've made some nice pleated curtains from denim that swing shut once they go inside to trap the heat since the photo and they've become inseparable from it. They come out looking quite fluffy warm and content.

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like you got it - GOOD FOR YOU!!
By the way, you'll have edit capability after 25 posts (I think that's the number).

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice work! That's a really well built shelter.

I was going to suggest making a shelf inside so that the cats have two levels. Cats usually feel safer if they can jump up onto something, it gives them a vantage point to look out from.

If they are outside all the time straw makes really good bedding. It stays fresh for longer, doesn't go mouldy as quickly as blankets or hay will and dries off quickly if it ever gets wet.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! I agree with auntie, that is some phenomenal construction.

I'm a sucker for hand crafted wood working.

I digress. So glad you were able to come to a compromise with those adorable fluffs.

Those two just didn't want to share a room. lol

RussRuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the kind replies and advice. Ill be getting some pea straw in there to help out. Was considering more linen but you've sold me on the doesn't rot part. Also , not cleaning linen and simply putting the straw in the compost as a carbon component is a win!

Maggie is definitely slow blinking there :) , They watched me spend all that time building it so I really hope they are thinking "hey thanks". But their probably thinking "Why did we have to leave the garage!" and their prior lament "Why did we get kicked out of the house"?. Interestingly though Maggie had an obesity problem and since being outdoors has returned to healthy weight (and stopped being obsessed with wet food out of boredom). Despite their love for it, Constantly warm bodies probably isn't best for their metabolism, But I'm completely guessing.

I observed the internal temps climb overnight go from 12.7c to 14c once both cats were in and as the night outside actually got colder, Cat farts make a great heat source apparently! Its 18.2c in there now and 15c outside (daytime). Sorry for the metric units.

Its been a huge relief not trying to coach Maggie in there right before bed every night and our Son loves being able to go give them a cheeky hello when hes running about outside.