Coccidia in kittens

limesicle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently took in two kittens. They are roughly two to three months old. They both have terrible diarrhea. They have seen a vet and are being treated for coccidia. How long does it take before the diarrhea stops? They have been on the medication for 3 days. One kittens poop is now a gravy consistency but the other still has really runny poop and seems to just leak poop. They are also pooping every 2 to 3 hours. And the one will poop almost immediately after he eats. They do have another vet appointment in about a week. I am just really struggling keeping up with the diarrhea and am hoping the medicine will start working soon.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I think you need to contact the vet again today, Kittens having diarrhea are at risk for dehydration. There should have been improvement by now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just recently took in two kittens. They are roughly two to three months old. They both have terrible diarrhea. They have seen a vet and are being treated for coccidia. How long does it take before the diarrhea stops? They have been on the medication for 3 days. One kittens poop is now a gravy consistency but the other still has really runny poop and seems to just leak poop. They are also pooping every 2 to 3 hours. And the one will poop almost immediately after he eats. They do have another vet appointment in about a week. I am just really struggling keeping up with the diarrhea and am hoping the medicine will start working soon.
What did they got? Usually they gets albon for coccidia, and it takes several days to work - dont remember now exactly how long, but they work slowly.

Sometimes vets prescribe ponazuril, and it works quicker, a couple of days... I dont know why they dont use ponazuril as standard. Some drawbacks??

As said above, with diarrhea they lose electrolytes / salts, and water.
So they need more fluids than usually, and more salts than usually.

Pedialyte containing salts is good in such cases... Or use minerale water, let the gas out and give...
But if desperate, just sprinkle some minerale salt into their food....
Entice them to drink this!

Some nice probiotic may help some.... BeneBac is good. S.Boulerii good too for diarrheas....
Or even a common kefir or full fat yoghurt... If you find one with added probitic bacteria its even better...

Goats milk is mild and nourishing...
Raw goats milk is pricey, but has some healing properties in problems with intestines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

limesicle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were given Sulfadimethoxine or Albon. Both kittens at well and they drink a ton of water. I haven't worried too much because they keep drinking water and are still pretty active.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They were given Sulfadimethoxine or Albon. Both kittens at well and they drink a ton of water. I haven't worried too much because they keep drinking water and are still pretty active.
Sounds good. Dont forgets this with extra salts, and perhaps probiotics.