Cleft palate kitten

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Siamese cat had a litter of 4 kittens on the night of the 4th. I noticed early morning on the 5th that 1 of the female kittens was making odd almost raspy breath sounds. Upon inspection I realized that she has a severe cleft palate. Thankfully I had everything needed to start tube feeding immediately. She went from 71g at birth to 68g but I now have her up to 77g, still way smaller than her siblings but at least she is gaining.

I was hoping that others may have some experience with successfully raising a cleft palate kitten and would have some tips/tricks I can use?

I understand that more often than not cleft palate kittens are either euthanized or don't live long, but I would really like to give her a fighting chance.

TIA

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not have direct experience with a cleft palate kitten, but I know if you can get her big enough, corrective surgery can be performed and she will be able to eat like any other cat.

I wish you continued success with the tube feeding! Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My Siamese cat had a litter of 4 kittens on the night of the 4th. I noticed early morning on the 5th that 1 of the female kittens was making odd almost raspy breath sounds. Upon inspection I realized that she has a severe cleft palate. Thankfully I had everything needed to start tube feeding immediately. She went from 71g at birth to 68g but I now have her up to 77g, still way smaller than her siblings but at least she is gaining.

I was hoping that others may have some experience with successfully raising a cleft palate kitten and would have some tips/tricks I can use?

I understand that more often than not cleft palate kittens are either euthanized or don't live long, but I would really like to give her a fighting chance.

TIA
yes its common cleft palate kittens are pts or die.
But.
They can often be saved by handfeeding!
Having cleft palate they cant nurse properly, because they cant create vacuum in their mouth. But if they can swallow, they can often be saved by handfeeding.

Surgery isnt necessary, unless for cosmetic reasons later on.
compare with children with cleft palate in poor countries... They grow up, with their cleft palates unattended... It doesnt look nice, but they are alive, and otherwise healthy. Their problems arent health, but social problems... To put it mildly. And its mainly why they need cosmetic surgery.
If the parents care to handfeed them, they usually survive.

If you have possibility to tube feeding, its even safer, but normally not necessary.

The usual problem, I do suspect, people dont know this. They get panicked, and either they dont do nothing, and the kitten dies by starvation after several days, or they mercifully pts it.... Not knowing they can try and handfeed the kitten.

If they kitten hasnt no other damages, or the cleft palate isnt really grossly, it can often survive with proper handfeeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried feeding with a long nipple initially, but I realized very quickly it wasn't going to work when milk started bubbling out her nose, so I switched to tube feeding.

She sounds like she has a cold constantly, like she is trying to breathe through a stuffed up nose. And of course while at the vet yesterday she didn't do it 🤦‍♀️

I feel bad because she absolutely hates the tube feeding. I hope that eventually she gets used to it and doesn't fight it as much!