Cleaning Urine Out Of Wood Floors

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is not for me, it's for a friend.

Someone I work with needs to clean up wood floors from cat urine. Her old roommate's cat had issues and now that she's moved out, the floors need to be deep cleaned of the odor. I mentioned Nature's Miracle to her but, I think it's only for spot cleaning?

Anyone have any ideas how to tackle this? Her new roomie is allergic and she'd like to be sure it's as clean as possible for him.

I have no experience with cats peeing on floors at all, luckily, so I'm no help but I know someone here will be :biggrin:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate to say it, but my experience (15 years housecleaning, as well as some small wood shop work) says those floors are a gonner.

The problem is that the urine will have soaked into the cellulose (grain) of the wood, and there is really no way to draw it back out without destroying the wood's cellular structure (more than it already is).

The only thing I've heard of as a temporary solution is vinegar. This may neutralize the odor for a while, but my experience has been that it has to be done constantly... which again will deteriorate the floors even more over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hate to say it, but my experience (15 years housecleaning, as well as some small wood shop work) says those floors are a gonner.

The problem is that the urine will have soaked into the cellulose (grain) of the wood, and there is really no way to draw it back out without destroying the wood's cellular structure (more than it already is).

The only thing I've heard of as a temporary solution is vinegar. This may neutralize the odor for a while, but my experience has been that it has to be done constantly... which again will deteriorate the floors even more over time.
Oh no!
It's a rental unfortunately so she's stuck. I'll pass along the vinegar tip. I have no idea if it's literally the entire floor or just patches.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be something out there that will do the trick... Maybe there is a wood working community out there that know about more possible products or techniques. I can only go by my own experience.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. The wood has likely soaked up the urine. It may have also leaked thru to wooden subfloor. I think even staining and resealing them maybe only a temporary solution as the odor will probably come back, especially in warm weather, or when the furnace heats the home.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best bet is to resand and refinish the floors, hoping to remove as much urine-soaked wood in the process.