Class Action Lawsuits Against Solid Gold And Rachel Ray Nutrish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by the ingredients, I thought Solid Gold was a good brand.
This is how the food is marketed but the lawsuit states they have evidence that it is high in BPA and heavy metals. These lawsuits are basically stating that the products employ misleading marketing tactics.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my guys never liked solid gold. and Rachel ray is so high in fiber i never gave it to them. I dont need cows in the litter box! It would be good if they would just use wholesome, simple ingredients, forget all that marketing, and be honest about what is in their foods. We would buy it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Wha/who are you calling cows in the litterbox?

Daisy gobbled up Solid Gold Turkey and Duck fresh out of the can but ignored the leftovers.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Solid Gold lawsuit is being filed by the same law group that is going after Champion Pet Foods (Orijen) for heavy metals and toxins. The big problem with that lawsuit was that they used the Clean Label Project for their data, which has a reputation of being sketchy and opaque about their testing methods. They don't mention in the Solid Gold lawsuit where their data is coming from this time, but I'd still be wary of their claims at this point.

The Rachel Ray one looks separate, and it's just claiming that the food isn't "natural" because it has traces of a weed killer in it (Roundup, actually). That ingredient is generally considered to have a low level of toxicity to mammals, and I don't think Rachel Ray has ever claimed to be organic, which is different than saying natural. I also can't find any info on how the testing was done here.

That said, I would never feed Rachel Ray if I had a choice based on the ingredients and my impression of the company. As for Solid Gold, I've never liked the amount of fish and carbohydrates in their foods personally. I do know some cats love their food and won't eat anything else. They do seem to be trying to widen their customer base recently, which historically leads to lower prices and lower quality, so it's probably prudent to keep an eye out for changes. But just based on these lawsuits, I wouldn't be worried.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Too much fish? Therre is no fish in some of their recipes.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much fish? Therre is no fish in some of their recipes.
Sorry, I mean the varieties that were in stores I've been to were always fish flavors. They do have a few non-fish flavors!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Rachel Ray food still crap? I've seen several posts on here saying it is. Co-worker gave me a bag of it for Boone and Gracie. I told him "No thanks" but he left in on my desk anyway. I don't want to just throw it away if the food is ok to feed now. I can probably give it to somebody else but will toss it when I get home if needed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't throw away any cat food, it's still better than starving or eating out a dumpster. Donate it to the shelter or your local feral feeders, they'll be glad to have it :).

I know companies need to be held accountable for making misleading claims but sometimes I feel like these kinds of lawsuits are over the top. Can we define "healthy", in terms of a food product? Not really. What about "natural"? It's kind of ridiculous. Now if they made a factual claim like "tested for contaminants" and then it turned out they didn't test for contaminants, then I think a lawsuit is called for.

Of course, anybody can sue anybody else for any reason, and that in itself doesn't mean they have a good case, but the fact that it's a class action lawsuit now means the tort lawyers think they'll be able to get some money out of it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't throw away any cat food, it's still better than starving or eating out a dumpster. Donate it to the shelter or your local feral feeders, they'll be glad to have it :).

I know companies need to be held accountable for making misleading claims but sometimes I feel like these kinds of lawsuits are over the top. Can we define "healthy", in terms of a food product? Not really. What about "natural"? It's kind of ridiculous. Now if they made a factual claim like "tested for contaminants" and then it turned out they didn't test for contaminants, then I think a lawsuit is called for.

Of course, anybody can sue anybody else for any reason, and that in itself doesn't mean they have a good case, but the fact that it's a class action lawsuit now means the tort lawyers think they'll be able to get some money out of it.
We have some strays here at work that I can give it to and they would most certainly appreciate it. The lady that was feeding them left over a year ago and I'm not sure anyone else has taken over. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't harmful or anything since I think I saw a post that said it contains the same thing as in RoundUp weed killer. I have seen the cats in two spots so I will dump some at each location. Hopefully it doesn't rain before they find it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree that we want our pets to have clean, nutritious food. Having said that, Roundup is heavily used in most human oat products....you can find out which do not like 365 Organic Old Fashioned and Oatley....the reason your bagged organic salad stays fresh for so long is that chlorine is used as a preservative which is completely legal. I could go on.

Some certification for foods is sketchy as was noted. How humanely the chicken was killed and how much space the hens had is debatable in some cases. Even EWG has its critics.