CKD-friendly chicken broth?

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How can I make home-made chicken broth low in phosphorus and sodium for cat with CKD? From googling, it seems like it should be meat-only broth (no bones). If I just boil plain organic chicken breast, will the broth be low in phosphorus? Is there a particular water-to-chicken ratio I should aim for to make it dilute enough for low phosphorus content? How long should I cook it for? Will the chicken be edible after the broth is done (like if I dice it and add it to her wet food, which will have phosphate binder)? I'm a vegetarian and have zero experience with cooking chicken.

We had a check-up yesterday and she dropped about 5% of her body weight, and was a bit dehydrated even though we did 100mL of subq the evening before. Her appetite seemed ok so the weight drop was unexpected. She does seem a little bored with her current food. I figure chicken broth would add some calories plus keep her hydrated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am rotten about trying home-cooked anything. Could you consider something like this (see below link)? It is not much in the way of calories, and doesn't contain sodium, but I don't know about the phosphorus, since almost no companies bother to list that as one of the 'nutrients'. I guess you could ask the company about the phosphorus level. I am going to use it merely to entice Feeby to eat more of her own food.
Simply Nourish® Cat Food Broth - Natural, Grain Free, Chicken | cat Wet Food | PetSmart

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will the chicken be edible after the broth is done (like if I dice it and add it to her wet food, which will have phosphate binder)? I'm a vegetarian and have zero experience with cooking chicken.

Making broth takes a few hours or so by stove top. By the time the broth is done, the chicken will be well cooked (overcooked maybe) but still edible for the cat to eat. Just shred the chicken and offer some right away and freeze the rest to use as treats. Just thaw the frozen chicken for the next time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Chicken broth by itself won't add many calories since it's mainly water. (that Simply Nourish broth mentioned above only has 4 calories per pouch) I know with my last kidney cat, I just tried to get her to eat more by serving meals all throughout the day AND night. That prevented her from losing weight, although she never gained any back :frown: