Cisapride 10 mg tablets

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
13 yr old male cat...has had constipation and on fiber RX food for years. Just had Obstipation. Now on Lactolose and Cisapride daily. We are tweaking meds with vet to get him pooping daily. He is going now but not regularly like before. SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS WELCOMED.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant CISAPRIDE 5MG TABS not 10MG

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he been diagnosed with Megacolon? If so, that's a different story than constipation. If it's "simply" constipation, then I would suggest trying to feed some wet food with extra water added, and get him to drink as much water as possible. Moisture is the key to helping constipation. Then, adding in Miralax is what has worked for several of our older cats. 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon twice per day, dissolved in a little bit of water. This is done daily, forever, not just when they appear to be having issues. I found that was the only thing that worked.

You can also try adding plain canned pumpkin to his food, total of one tablespoon per day, for extra fiber. It supposedly works well, if you can get him to eat it. Some cats love it, some don't.

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, moderate megacolon. The Cisapride with Lactolose is being tweaked for now.
He had constipation in 2014, then again in 2018 both cleared with enemas and fiber foods perfectly for years. Two weeks ago he had to have a obstipation. Great ideas you mentioned but he is beyond that at 13.5 years old.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, megacolon is different from constipation, so adding in extra fiber via canned pumpkin may not be a good idea. From my understanding megacolon is a motility issue, thus the cisapride, to help the colon move things along.

Here is a thread on Megacolon that may have some ideas for you: Megacolon in cats - Need information

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, megacolon is different from constipation, so adding in extra fiber via canned pumpkin may not be a good idea. From my understanding megacolon is a motility issue, thus the cisapride, to help the colon move things along.

Here is a thread on Megacolon that may have some ideas for you: Megacolon in cats - Need information
THANK YOU ! Great info.