Cinnamon has come downstairs to eat, and Fred meows at me for his food now

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I thought I would update what is happening with my two final outdoor guys who came inside. Cinnamon has been sneaking downstairs while I am there, and probably while I am not if the door is open, to eat cat food in the kitchen from the other's dishes, and Fred has started meowing at me for his food. Zena always runs up to their room to eat with them, and sometimes stays with them when I close the door while I sleep. Quinn is still aggressive in their room with them but nothing terrible, but they will run behind the bed from him.

Earlier he came in to the tv room and meowed at Zena, while I was sitting there, lol. He looked at me and then left. They are both still scared of me and will run away so I don't think they will ever be completely tame/touchable. They will get closer to me in their bedroom and Fred has come into my room again while I am reading, but runs back to his room if I talk to him etc.

I was sure Cinnamon is planning to try to escape outside since the sliding door is there where I fed them, but he just said hi, got scared and went back upstairs. I am surprised he does this since he is the more timid one and since he is still so scared of me after 10 years or so of me caring for him. I guess the food, and freedom to walk around is a strong motivator. The other night we were all sitting in the tv room while I worked, and I heard him munching on food, I knew it had to be him since my original 3 were with me. I thought Fred would be the first one to come downstairs but maybe he has done that when I was not awake. The other night Cinnamon came down when I was in the kitchen but ran away, I will try to give him his own dish of food next time. When they eat with Zena upstairs they all eat from one plate and Fred purrs very loudly. Sometimes Merlin goes in too but he usually lays on the floor while they eat, he and Quinn always go to use the boxes there too.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they're all doing well enough, and a little progress is still progress, right?

This is all very interesting to me because I brought an older feral inside a couple of months ago. He seems content inside as long as I don't approach him. I can talk all I want since he's extremely deaf -- even vacuum right up next to him when he's hiding under the dresser!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they're all doing well enough, and a little progress is still progress, right?

This is all very interesting to me because I brought an older feral inside a couple of months ago. He seems content inside as long as I don't approach him. I can talk all I want since he's extremely deaf -- even vacuum right up next to him when he's hiding under the dresser!
That is amazing you can vacuum 😀 I need to vacuum more because it’s so dusty in there but I don’t wanna scare of them because the couple of times I did it they were scared and it’s hard for me with my back right now too.

Yes any progress is welcome. It has been a year since Fred came inside, over a year, and about over half a year since cinnamon came inside.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No pics of Cinn downstairs yet but here is one of him and Zena on the bed… when I went in earlier Cinn was on the bed, and he jumped down immediately…very scared. But later with Zena there too he just stayed and looked at me.

Fred got in a panic the other night because I had closed their bedroom door when getting ready to go to sleep, he was not in the room, and I didn’t realize it.

I came back up the stairs after getting something downstairs, and he was in the hallway landing hissing at me… he was very upset. So, I told him to go into the study, which he did eventually, and I was able to open the door… he snuck back in when I left

Even though there has been progress, I don’t think these guys are ever going to be touchable or stop hissing at me…at least Fred anyway cinnamon doesn’t hiss etc.but I never try to approach him at all.

IMG_5414.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First pic of Cinn downstairs…he is coming down a lot but he still runs away if he feels I get too close. This time Quinn jumped up, trilled and sniffed his nose, then Cinn ran away. He was sitting there for a while but I didn't hear him, then I looked up to see him looking at me. In this pic, he was looking out the door like he might want to escape or go out. I think, I’m not sure.
Last night he came down, played with Zena a bit and ate some soft food with Merlin! But then he ran away. It is so odd. He will come right into the kitchen when I’m there and go to the cat dishes and look at me, but then he gets scared and runs away. Lol.

Fred has not come downstairs at all as far as I know at least not when I was there. But he continues to come into my room, acts like I’m not there, and runs away if I move etc.
I have videos too, I will post them later.
IMG_5440.jpeg