Chronic Ear Issues

Meauxmeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor ol' curmudgeon has had ear issues and no one (meaning vets) can find a reason. I adopted Sebbie about 2 years ago. His original vet of whom the former owner had gone to, had 3 notes on him: ear issues, skinny, and crabby. :)
I've had other vets in addition check out this condition. No mites, no bacteria, no fungus-a-mongus. Clean ears.
I've been giving him homeopathic 'nose relief' for quite awhile now, but it no longer seems effective.
I think it may be allergies, but am flummoxed on how to care for him or find out what allergies he may have. Poor baby wants his ears itched every hour, every day. He shakes his head a lot and sometimes when he does, clear liquid sprays out. (from his nose and mouth and maybe the ears) He does sneeze, though it has calmed down a bit.
Any ideas on what may be an underlying issue so that I can look into it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. You're the cat's meow!

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will help, but I have a dog whose ears are itchy all the time, and I periodically take her for ear cytologies and she has no infection. Yesterday, the vet suggested Synotic ear drops, and I know these can also be used for cats, and I have done that, but you might want to ask your vet about this. My vet also recommended Zymox, and there are different brands of it available, and you can use it for cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What foods does he eat? Are they the same foods he was eating before you adopted him? I ask that because it sounds like he has always had this issue, and if so then the first 'culprit' to look at might be a food allergy - especially if he usually eats a particular protein such as chicken. From what I have read, it seems the most likely protein sources of allergies in cats are chicken or fish. When that appears to be the problem, a lot of folks give their cats a novel protein, like rabbit, duck, beef, for example, with limited other ingredients. I say other limited ingredients as it could be any number of the other items/fillers in the food too.