Chronic diarrhea... running out of ideas.

LunaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all; I'm at my wit's end with a cat health issue and I'm looking for some advice.

One of our cats (female, ~12 years old) has been having chronic diarrhea over the past couple of months. She usually tries to use the litter box, but often chooses the floor instead (probably associating the box with unpleasantness). The stool is dark brown, no apparent blood or mucus, but what I would call a "runny pudding" consistency. The "good news" is that she's otherwise behaving normally... appetite is normal, she's as energetic as usual and still likes to sit on people's laps, etc. She's a trooper. We've been to the vet several times and tried a bunch of things to no avail.

The situation is bad enough that she is slowly losing weight and has had a suspected UTI during this time as well, which was treated (the vet claims this may be related to dehydration from the diarrhea).

We have no idea what the cause is; she's been on Tiki Cat non-fish flavor food for over a year with no issues, no "people food" and minimal treats. No changes in our surroundings... we're living in the same house, same people, same furniture arrangement, etc. The diarrhea seems to have just started out of nowhere. Our other cat is completely fine with normal stool. The vet has tested blood and stool samples, which came back normal (including no thyroid issues and kidney indicators are normal as well). Then did an x-ray, which was also normal. They're saying an ultrasound would be the next test, but I'm not sure that's going to reveal anything new.

The things we've tried prior to and with vet guidance; none of these have worked so far:
- Small amount of pumpkin in food (I tried this first, then stopped when it didn't work)
- Has been on Hills "i/d" wet food for over a month
- During the suspected UTI, took a full course of antibiotics (which seem to have helped the urinary issues for now, but diarrhea is the same)
- Probiotics (FortiFlora) during and after the antibiotics

Our vet is usually open to discussion and suggestions, so I'm hoping someone here might have some thoughts or insights I could bring up at the next vet appointment. Basically I feel like I'm running out of things to try on my own. Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Something I've seen mentioned frequently after antibiotics that you might try is a better probiotic, S. boulardii.

Do they get filtered water, and cleaned daily dishes and water bowls, all rinsed well to eliminate any soap residue -- if you use soap? I realize your other cat isn't having issues, but every cat is different.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can empathize though, my boy Nico has had constant diarrhea for almost two months now after horrible UTI and antibiotics. It's also to the point he lost weight, about a few pounds.
It might be that your kitty has developed IBD, or some type of offset in their gastro tract. Either way, you may need to start supplements as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggests.

daftcat75 daftcat75 made a great recommendation for us, Kitty Biome. They are a truly wonderful company that produces cat specific supplements for diarrhea and gut dysbiosis. Whether it's due to medicine or IBD, their supplements DO help. Nico is currently taking their Gut Restore and FMT supplement. While it does take a while to work, I can certainly see improvement.

The key I've found in all of this, is true patience and understanding. The road to recovery on this is not as quick as we would like for our fur babies. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaRay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can empathize though, my boy Nico has had constant diarrhea for almost two months now after horrible UTI and antibiotics. It's also to the point he lost weight, about a few pounds.
It might be that your kitty has developed IBD, or some type of offset in their gastro tract. Either way, you may need to start supplements as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggests.

daftcat75 daftcat75 made a great recommendation for us, Kitty Biome. They are a truly wonderful company that produces cat specific supplements for diarrhea and gut dysbiosis. Whether it's due to medicine or IBD, their supplements DO help. Nico is currently taking their Gut Restore and FMT supplement. While it does take a while to work, I can certainly see improvement.

The key I've found in all of this, is true patience and understanding. The road to recovery on this is not as quick as we would like for our fur babies. ❤
Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I went ahead and ordered some of the probiotic that was suggested; I also googled a bit and found Kitty Biome on my own, so I'm glad to see someone else recommend it. I feel at least a little better knowing there are some more things we can try.