CHRONIC DIARRHEA NOT FROM PARASITES

AbbeyRoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a fully white, 5 month old kitten with chronic diarrhea. Her and her 2 sisters were found outside when they were 6 weeks old, but had immediate medical care, and otherwise looked to be doing ok. They all are still living together. They've all had 2 out of 3 sets of shots already. They're negative for parasites, and negative for FIV and FeLV. The other 2 do not have bowel issues, only one of them does. The one in question had a feline viral snap test which she was also negative for.
She has been on antibiotics 2 separate times (metronidazole the first time, and then prescribed it again alongside sulfadimethoxine) she also takes an immune boosting gel (viralys) and takes a probiotic. The meds worked the second time, but came back shortly after.
She eats only Royal Canin kitten dry and wet food.
She cannot seem to clear her diarrhea, no matter what I do. Sometimes she will have mucus and jelly like, sometimes pinkish/reddish slime in the litter with or without the diarrhea. I've mentioned this to my vet several times and they can't seem to help me. They also say that sometimes blood in their stool is normal if they strain a lot to push it out.
I plan to switch her food as my last attempt. If that doesn't work I don't know what could be causing this.
Could this be an underlying issue?
I plan to switch her food to Hills Biome, and already have her on the Adored Beast Gut soothe for 2 days now.
If there is any advice for me, please let me know. I want her to be healthy so bad!
Thank you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the food, maybe an ingredient in it is upsetting her. I have a lot of success with s boulardii. Sprinkle about one eighth of a capsule on her food twice a day and you should see an improvement in a few days. This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013OVW0E/?tag=

If it continues I would ask your vet to look at other tests. Please make sure she is drinking plenty as diarrhea can cause dehydration.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you vet did the tests, did they do a PCR test? That one is pretty costly and has to be sent to an outside lab, but if there are ANY pesky parasites, it should catch it, even those unusual ones. Otherwise, it's probably related to her food.

I would definitely give the S. Boulardi a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbeyRoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you vet did the tests, did they do a PCR test? That one is pretty costly and has to be sent to an outside lab, but if there are ANY pesky parasites, it should catch it, even those unusual ones. Otherwise, it's probably related to her food.

I would definitely give the S. Boulardi a try.
Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if they did a PCR test. They did test their stool for parasites but I don't know what the name of the test was. I'll ask my vet for sure and see what we can do, or request one if she hasnt had one yet.

I will certainly look into the bouldardi as well.

Thank you again!