Chronic constipation - had enema and now post enema issues

edandjill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 13 year old cat Lilly with chronic constipation had to go to the vet Thursday because she hadn't had a bowel movement in a couple of days. The vet first did an x-ray and the x-ray was normal with the exception of her being stopped up with poop. The vet went in to extract the poop and also gave her an enema. At home, she was lethargic as expected and didn't want to eat again as expected. Friday, it was the same. Also, she had diarrhea Friday and still wouldn't eat much. We called the vet and the vet suggested giving her mirtazapine to get her appetite going. She started eating well this morning. She ate 2 jars of chicken baby food, and almost one can of Friskies (we normally feed Purina Pro Plan but she stopped eating that). Then, we gave her her meds (she's getting Pepcid, Cerenia, and is on anti-anxiety meds that we are weaning her off of). She normally takes her meds in a treat but due to her condition we are having to use a pill popper. Anyway, about 15 min after her meds, she used her litterbox and I believe strained because afterwards she threw her food up. I should mention that right before this she had her first solid poop. She just had diarrhea again and threw up again afterwards. Is this normal after an enema? We plan to call the vet first thing Monday but are there any suggestions that we can do to help her in the meantime?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she drinking plenty of water, lack of it often causes constipation. You could also give her psyllium, its a fibre, a pinch in her food twice a day. I dont know if her symptoms are normal after an enema but if they continue I would contact your vet. In the meantime try to encourage her to drink water, even if you have to syringe it into her, try tuna juice anything to keep her hydrated.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes throwing up after the enema is normal, but not for more than a day or so. soft stool as well for a couple days. My cat was also named Lilly that had this problem. The vet changed her diet to RC fiber response and have me lactalose. Instead of the lactalose I started giving her a dose of miralax everyday and it kept her pooping about every 3 days. Some cats just don’t go everyday.