Christmas Dinner

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What are you planning for your Christmas dinner this year?

It will be just Rick and me this year for Christmas and we're thinking of having our dinner on Sunday and then just doing a small brunch on Christmas Day.

Stuffed pork chops (bread stuffing with apples, onions, and raisins)
Amish potato filling (with gravy)
Evaporated corn (Rick loves it)
Roasted winter vegetables (yam, small butternut, carrots)
Pickled red beet eggs (just because)
Iced tea
Pumpkin pie (I didn't make a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this year)

Christmas morning after opening gifts
Everything omelets
Warm fruit salad
Orange juice
Sticky buns

What are you doing for Christmas?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is evaporated corn? It sounds delicious. The whole menu sounds delicious. I will be working Christmas night and I refuse to move Christmas to accommodate my work schedule. I have two turkey breasts in the freezer, but no idea when I'll use them. They were meant for Christmas day. Now I will be sleeping and DH has COVID (unconfirmed but he is really sick). I hope he gets better soon but don't know if that will happen before Christmas.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we're having baked ham,fruit and nut stuffed acorn squash,I will probably make dinner rolls and we always have an assortment of pickles and olives.For dessert I am really leaning towards a gingerbread trifle,but I'm also tossing around the idea of a sacher torte.I'd really like to have some brussel sprouts,too,and I saw a recipe last night that looked quite easy and delish.Also saw a recipe for a focaccia bread that you place in the middle of the risen dough a small wheel of cheese,like boursin or brie,and bake.On top of the focaccia once baked, you put an assortment of sliced hams,salamis,cheeses,grapes,olives to eat with the melted cheese and warm bread.Looked divine!Those are my thoughts and semi plans at this point.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a nice bone in ribeye to grill. The girls and I will share it. A baked potato and salad to go with it for me.

on Christmas day after I put together the new cat tree and scratching post I will have a fancy breakfast of coffee and a Jimmy Dean breakfast burrito.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel Evaporated corn is corn that is dried and toasted. And the reconstituted with milk, sugar, etc. You can do it on the stove, in the microwave. Some stores carry Copes Dried Corn in a package to reconstitute yourself and that's what I use. You can also buy Copes in a can to just heat it up. Next year, in the garden, I'd like to grow corn, simply to dehydrate myself. Just to see if I can.

I'm sorry your DH isn't feeling well and about your schedule. I worked around holidays for almost 20 years and know that it's no fun at all.

lizzie lizzie Now I'm hungry for a stuffed acorn squash.

C catapault How do you plan on doing your venison?

Kat0121 Kat0121 Yum! I love a good rib eye!

Rick suggested a quiche instead of omelets for Christmas brunch. We'll see what I feel like tossing together.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester for my favorite method I need to buy a duck and make pate. Then I sear the tenderloin,set aside to rest while I cut appropriate size pieces of phyllo pastry, layer some pate, top with sauteed mushrooms and onion. Lay the meat, cut in portion size pieces on top, fold over the pastry, turn over and finish in oven. Or I could use venison to make a filling for crepes. Or just serve the tenderloin similar to fillet of beef.

It's nice to have options.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault , Kat0121 Kat0121 , lizzie lizzie , nurseangel nurseangel Just so you all know, you will all have a extra person at your Christmas table. I've just invited myself and will be there! nurseangel nurseangel , you'll have to let me know when your DH is up to dinner. Your dinners all sound so good. And I'll even do all the clean-up, just so I can enjoy your dinner!

You all have a standing invite to our house, too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob Evans Farmhouse Feast. Ham, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn, dinner rolls, and pumpkin pie.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Images from three different Christmas venison dinners
(I could have posted more but think three is sufficient)

Christmas Dinner_2016-12_roast venison back strap.jpg

Roast venison back strap

Christmas Meals_2018-12_venison, spatzle, baby bok choy.jpg
Venison, spatzle, baby bok choi

Christmas Dinner_2017-12_update 3-filling crepes.jpg
Filling crepes with venison​

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it may be an easy Italian: meatballs, ravioli, with sauce. I will be up late the night before and up early for morning Mass.
Or it may be a ribeye... Dessert from bakery... probably cookies.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
So for Christmas around noon or so,

Clarks Quiche (this is so good! from Allrecipes. It makes two and, while I'd love to freeze one for later on, it never lasts that long)
Warm Spiced Fruit (it's made with canned fruit, but it's what I'm allowed to have, and it's good stuff)
Sticky Buns and Cookies
Orange Juice (alas, no mimosas this year)

And we'll munch down on stuff pretty much all day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Publix last night. The standing rib roasts are still on sale so I had to go check them out. They had a small one with great marbling. I had to get it. I will cut that into steaks and one will be our Christmas dinner. The other one I bought was already cut and is in the freezer. We're good on ribeyes for a while. :hyper:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nice Kat0121 Kat0121 . Unfortunately, we were limited to one roast at Giant. Rick was going to get another one, but he wasn't allowed.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heading to a Chinese Restaurant and joining m sister and her husband for Christmas. We did Christmas with my kids and grandkids last Sunday - beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad, rolls, green beans, creamed spinach, mac and cheese and pies for dessert. Very nice time with all.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Easy Italian: ravioli, sauce, meatballs. Blueberry pie, or cookies or ice cream for dessert... too tired from last night to even think about cooking.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mexican here--handmade tamales from a local restaurant, refried beans that we'll make here, and Mexican street corn slaw.
betsygee betsygee Have you ever made your own tamales? My GF (from Chicago) wanted to try to make them one year at Thanksgiving, I think, and she said never again. She had a devil of a time trying to find the corn husks or banana leaves and, when she finally found the husks, she said the process was so time-consuming she'd never try them again.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner-Xmas_2023-12_entree.jpg

Duck breast done under Wolf oven broiler, shoestring potatoes, microwave steamed cut asparagus
Made a sauce from duck stock, red wine, orange juice, finely slivered orange zest, crushed juniper berries.
Same wine as yesterday, a merlot
Dessert was the same as yesterday - fruitcake and chocolate coated fruitcake bonbons
As delicious as it is I am glad I do not cook like this every day!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
betsygee betsygee Have you ever made your own tamales?
Yes, I have and that's why we got them from a restaurant this year! :lol: We have several Mexican grocery stores around here, so finding corn husks and other supplies isn't too difficult. But it is definitely time-consuming. We'd talked about making them ourselves this year and decided we didn't want to spend that much time on it.