Chow Hound

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed the last few days that Boone (I assume) has been going to town on the dry food. Bowl is nearly empty. I put in 1/2 cup at a time. When I am home, I rarely see him at the bowl so this is mostly done while I am gone at work or at night while asleep. I feed him (and Gracie) wet food in the morning and evening. I have tried feeding wet in the afternoon but they either eat that and not the one at dinner. Or they aren't that hungry from breakfast.

I remember seeing online or on here a dry cat food that is dense so it fills the cat up without eating more. Anyone know what brand that is?

Boone is already a big boy and I still don't know if it's fat or just him just being a big boy. He is only 6 months so I can't really put him on a diet but I don't want him gaining too much weight and being unhealthy at such a young age. I weighed him early September and he was 8.8 lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about this, but Dr Elsey's?
That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I see it's for "all life stages" so I will may add some to my next Chewy order and see if that helps. Not cheap that is for sure. Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a long commute gives me time to think and now I am wondering if maybe the Carnivora dry food is the problem. It says it is 94% animal protein. Can having too much protein be a bad thing?

It seems like Boone's weight was on track before switching to Carnivora. Since I was thinking about dry food, it reminded me that I needed to stop and pick up more as my Chewy auto ship doesn't go out until Sunday. I picked up some Instinct Kitten which says it is 81% animal protein.

I am going to try and not feed them the Carnivora wet food either and see if it makes a difference. If not, I will try the Dr Elsay food. :crossfingers:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, I'm wondering if it depends on what the rest of the ingredients are and how the entire food is formulated.
Back
Blue Buffalo Carnivora Woodland Blend Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 4-lb bag
Nutritional InfoIngredients
  • Deboned Chicken, Dried Chicken, Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Tapioca Starch, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Liver And Hearts, Gelatin, Dried Tomato Pomace, Deboned Duck, Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 3 And 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Pollock, Dried Halibut, Dried Cod, Dried Sole, Natural Flavor, Fava Beans, Fish Oil (Source Of Ara-Arachidonic Acid And Dha-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dried Tuna, Choline Chloride, Potassium Sulfate, Turkey Liver, Dried Pork Liver, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Sardine, Chicken Cartilage, Essential Nutrients And Other Ingredients: Salt, Minerals [Calcium Carbonate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)], Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Turmeric, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Blackberries, Pomegranate, Spinach, Pumpkin, Carrots, Dried Kale, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Barley Grass, Parsley, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract), Oil Of Rosemary.
Caloric Content
  • 4,042 Kcals/kg, 505 Kcals/cup
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
48.0% min​
Crude Fat
20.0% min​
Crude Fiber
3.0% max​
Moisture
9.0% max​
ARA
0.08% min​
DHA
0.2% min​
Calcium
1.4% min​
Phosphorus
1.0% min​
Magnesium
0.13% max​
Choline
3,500 mg/kg min​
Taurine
0.2% min​
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
1.0% min​
Omega 6 Fatty Acids
3.25% min​

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Too much high quality protein for kittens is NOT a bad thing. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they don't need to consumer anything but small animals (if they were to consume them in their entirety (muscle meat, organs, stomach contents, fur or feathers for fiber, and bones for calcium) Personally, I'd stick with the Carnivora over the Instinct. If you look at total calories, I believe the Instinct is actually higher in calories, and lower in protein :frown:

It's very possible that Boone is just going to be a big boy. Tall, long, etc. Do you think he's looking more round than he should? And remember, he's a growing kitten who may need more than his fair share of food, so if he's active, he may need more than he's getting and that's why that bowl is empty.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much high quality protein for kittens is NOT a bad thing. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they don't need to consumer anything but small animals (if they were to consume them in their entirety (muscle meat, organs, stomach contents, fur or feathers for fiber, and bones for calcium) Personally, I'd stick with the Carnivora over the Instinct. If you look at total calories, I believe the Instinct is actually higher in calories, and lower in protein :frown:

It's very possible that Boone is just going to be a big boy. Tall, long, etc. Do you think he's looking more round than he should? And remember, he's a growing kitten who may need more than his fair share of food, so if he's active, he may need more than he's getting and that's why that bowl is empty.
No, I don't think he is more round than he should be. He is just solid!! When he walks/sits/lays on you, you can feel it. Compared to Gracie who is long and lean, he looks like a moose!! Plus when he is done with his wet food, he pushes Gracie off hers to eat what is left in her bowl. I have to stand guard so Gracie can eat what she wants and Boone can have what is left. But if I give him a whole 3oz can, he won't eat all of it.

Not sure what I will do. Already bought some Instinct dry because I ran out of the Carnivora before my Chewy auto ship went out. They are also eating Instinct and Carnivora wet food so I may swap out the Carnivora wet for Wellness for a month.

8.8 pounds for a 6 month kitten just seems too heavy to me. I have heard that most adult cats should weigh 10lbs and Boone still has 6 months more until he hits a year old!!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is still growing so he needs a lot of food. He may be exactly as Neko-chan's mama Neko-chan's mama says, so better to provide him with what he needs/wants :)
You are right. The only negative about the Carnivora wet food is that is really expensive. For 24 cans, it is $52. I can afford it though so might as well give a growing boy what he wants. :)

I got notification that the Instinct wet is on backorder for my autoship so I will have to stop by PetSmart and get more. I only have a few cans left. Not sure if Chewy will still send the Wellness wet food or wait until the Instinct wet is available before sending my shipment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When I was advocating for the Carnivora, I was talking about the kibble vs. the canned. I didn't even look at the canned ingredients. But I would pick the Carnivora kibble over the Instinct.

As to size of adult cats, I have two males, both the same age. One weighs 9 lbs, the other weighs almost 15 pounds. Neither is overweight, although I do have to monitor the bigger boy or he could be. He is solid as a rock, but still has a "waist" when you look down at him from above, and at his Vet visits he comes in at a 3 on the scale (1 - 5 is the scale). I'm telling you this just so you know now all cats weigh the same, not even all males are the same.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was advocating for the Carnivora, I was talking about the kibble vs. the canned. I didn't even look at the canned ingredients. But I would pick the Carnivora kibble over the Instinct.

As to size of adult cats, I have two males, both the same age. One weighs 9 lbs, the other weighs almost 15 pounds. Neither is overweight, although I do have to monitor the bigger boy or he could be. He is solid as a rock, but still has a "waist" when you look down at him from above, and at his Vet visits he comes in at a 3 on the scale (1 - 5 is the scale). I'm telling you this just so you know now all cats weigh the same, not even all males are the same.
The only reason I got the Instinct dry food is because I ran out of the Carnivora before my Chewy autoship is getting delivered. It is not sold in any stores that I have seen. It too is expensive at almost $27. I was only pointing out how expensive the wet food is because I was also feeding them that too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been kind of tracking when Boone seems to binge on dry food. It is overnight. They get wet food at 3am and 6pm during the week and 8am and 6 pm on weekends.

I am going to try to add another wet meal. Mon-Fri... 3am, 3pm, and 8pm. Sat-Sun... 8am, 2pm, and 8pm to see if that curbs his dry food eating bingeing.

Do those sound like adequate times for weekend feedings? Should I spread them further apart? I am kind of stuck with what I plan during the week due to work/sleep schedule and also on Sunday, I go to bed at 8pm so I am stuck there too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decided to add an extra meal today. Fed them at 3am like normal. 2nd wet meal around 4:30pm and 3rd wet meal around 9:30pm. Much to my surprise they ate everything each time. The real question will be answered tomorrow morning when I see how much dry food Boone ate overnight.

The only downside to adding another meal is I have to buy almost twice as much food to make it last as long. Instead of buy 48 cans, I will have to buy at least 60! Good thing the husband just got a $3000 raise with his new company that kicks in Dec 1st.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... there does seem to be more dry food left in the bowl than usual so maybe added meal in the afternoon and the later feeding did help. They got their breakfast around 7:15am. It was salmon and seemed pretty thin so not sure how it filled them up enough. Will feed again around noon, then 5pm, and then before bed.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, Boone and Gracie have had 3 wet meals today and will have their last one in about an hour. They have been loving it and have eaten everything each time. Makes me think they must have been really hungry all along and I feel bad now for only feeding once in the morning and once at night before. :ohwell:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your coming into winter there too so the cats instinctively packing in more food for the winter fat.
Also with the growing it seems to go...getting fat...grow...skinny...getting fat...grow..skinny and if Boone is going to be a big boy I think it will be expected this to go on for a while.
Mine is on the opposite side of the cycle dropping weight as we are in spring coming into summer..he was quite a chunk a few weeks ago.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your coming into winter there too so the cats instinctively packing in more food for the winter fat.
Also with the growing it seems to go...getting fat...grow...skinny...getting fat...grow..skinny and if Boone is going to be a big boy I think it will be expected this to go on for a while.
Mine is on the opposite side of the cycle dropping weight as we are in spring coming into summer..he was quite a chunk a few weeks ago.
Boone has been packing in more food since I got him! :lol: He has always been such a good eater. That's why when he doesn't eat all his food, I know that brand/flavor isn't one to buy again. I weighed them over the weekend. Gracie actually gained two pounds since I last weighed them so she is now 8 lbs. Boone only gained a pound which is good for him considering he usually gains at least two pounds per month. He is now 12 lbs. I am hoping adding more wet food to the diet will help level him out with his weight.