Chicken free crunchy treats?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find another kind of treat I can use for my cat that has a chicken allergy to give him his medication. I had thought he started getting diarrhea today only to realize I accidentally gave him a food variety that has chicken in it. Poor guy. It was meant to be for the other cats and I mixed it into his by mistake. I know the treats I am using haven't been doing this as I do monitor his bowel movements. Either way, he still gets itchy from them so I want to find something that is chicken free. Unfortunately, the only two crunchy treats I have found he will not take with the medication and pill masker. That is the Blue Bursts (seafood) and the Fancy Feast little chocolate things. I can't remember what they are called. Soft treats won't work for what I am having to do.

I know freeze-dried is an option as that has been his staple treats for a long while now but he will not take any of that with his medication. I need something that is crunchy with a lot of flavor to hide the pill masker flavor so he takes that with the pills inside.

I was considering doing one of those pet loaf/sausage things but the only varieties for cats have chicken in them. Don't know if such a product exists that would work like that. The dog kinds would be safe but they have big chunks of carrots and such in them which I would have to dig around and they are not cheap. They only last 7 days as well. I can't manage to find a beef or goose liver variety for humans without onion in it either.

Anyone know of anything? I have been looking for hours.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitty, Buddy is allergic to chicken as well. He doesn't like the freeze-dried treats. I spent a whole lot of time searching for a crunchy treat he could eat. I found ONE that was not freezed-dried. It is Shamless Pets brand "Yam Good Salmon". Buddy likes these and will eat them. I also found one non-crunchy treat he likes as well - Tiki Cat soft and chewy Tuna. Amazon has the Yam Good Salmon crunchy treat Chewy has the Tiki Cat treat. I think Petco has the Tiki Cat treats on-line as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this will be crunchy enough. But it's certainly stinky enough. It's on the softer side but it still might work for you.
FELINE NATURAL Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com
He can be picky with lamb, duck, and rabbit. Both rabbit and duck freeze-dried treats he has snubbed. I don't think I tried lamb though. That is expensive for him not to like it. They also don't show what they look like. Do you have a pic of them?

Our kitty, Buddy is allergic to chicken as well. He doesn't like the freeze-dried treats. I spent a whole lot of time searching for a crunchy treat he could eat. I found ONE that was not freezed-dried. It is Shamless Pets brand "Yam Good Salmon". Buddy likes these and will eat them. I also found one non-crunchy treat he likes as well - Tiki Cat soft and chewy Tuna. Amazon has the Yam Good Salmon crunchy treat Chewy has the Tiki Cat treat. I think Petco has the Tiki Cat treats on-line as well.
The reason I need crunchy treats is so they stick to the pill masker and cover it up while providing texture to make sure he swallows everything. He is not very keen on soft treats either as he likes to chew stuff but doesn't like things ticking in his mouth. I can look into those Shamless ones though. He might like those. He is picky with salmon and fish flavors though. He prefers turkey and beef but everything I could find has chicken.

I wish these brands realized they could make a killing using turkey filler over chicken.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamb green tripe is a whole different animal from lamb cat food. Well, it is still the same animal. But lamb green tripe is the stomach of lamb. It's organ meat vs muscle meat. These treats seem to be universally loved among the cats I've offered them to (two of my own and two strays.)

But if your cat snubs them, Chewy has a 100% unconditional return policy.

How do I request a return or replacement?

Our return policy is simple and worry-free: If you're not 100% unconditionally satisfied with your pet supplies, you can return them within 365 days of purchase. If you would like to request a return or replacement, please send us a message with your order number.
We do not accept returns or exchanges on prescription medications. However, if the medication you received is incorrect or damaged, we will gladly exchange it for you or provide a refund on a case-by-case basis.
Chewy.com does not take title to returned items until the item arrives at our fulfillment center. At our discretion, a refund may be issued without requiring a return. In this situation, Chewy.com does not take title to the refunded item.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lamb green tripe is a whole different animal from lamb cat food. Well, it is still the same animal. But lamb green tripe is the stomach of lamb. It's organ meat vs muscle meat. These treats seem to be universally loved among the cats I've offered them to (two of my own and two strays.)

But if your cat snubs them, Chewy has a 100% unconditional return policy.
Hmm, might be worth getting then. I am due for another order in a week or so. I get all the cat food through them. Thanks for the info.