Chicken broth?

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to encourage my cat to drink more. Is it ok to give him flavored drinks like chicken broth or tuna water? Thanks!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you've boiled the chicken (NEEDS to be under 100mg sodium per 4oz) in water yourself with no seasonings or any additives whatsoever then sure.

Avoid tuna.

Honestly you'd have an easier time with feeding wet and simply mixing each serving with a spoonful of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've boiled the chicken (NEEDS to be under 100mg sodium per 4oz) in water yourself with no seasonings or any additives whatsoever then sure.

Avoid tuna.

Honestly you'd have an easier time with feeding wet and simply mixing each serving with a spoonful of water.
I know. But I'm going to do what the vet said, at least for now. She was pretty adamant about it. It doesn't matter for this anyways, he won't even touch it if I try to add extra water.
What about putting a couple of drops in his regular water and see if that will convince him to drink some of it? Just enough to give it a little flavor? I'm going to get a kitty fountain after payday, but I'm trying to think of things to help for now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeding wet and adding an extra spoonful of water is probably the easiest way. I like to add the extra water to the empty tin and swish it around a little to flavor the water I am adding a little more. Then mix the water into the food.

If you want to make something, I'd make bone brotg. Basically get bones from a butcher, add to a crock pot filled with water and a splash of apple cider vinegar on low for 10-12 hours. Let it cool and strain off the fat. Homemade bone broth you can freeze in an ice cube tray and use as needed. Bone broth would have more nutritional benefits then using chicken meat and making it at home means you can ensure it doesn't have any added salt or veggies.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know. But I'm going to do what the vet said, at least for now. She was pretty adamant about it. It doesn't matter for this anyways, he won't even touch it if I try to add extra water.
What about putting a couple of drops in his regular water and see if that will convince him to drink some of it? Just enough to give it a little flavor? I'm going to get a kitty fountain after payday, but I'm trying to think of things to help for now.
If you buy commercial, salt and added seasoning can be a huge issue. Check your local pet store for a pet friendly broth or even goats milk. You don't want to add it to water because then you start your cat on not drinking unless it is flavored (like little kids and adding juice to water). You can try doing the drinking glass trick where you fill a glass with water (one with a wide base so it can't tip easily). Take a sip and then put it on a surface your cat is allowed on. Most cats will drink after seeing their human drink from the glass.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did your vet say?

Chicken broth using the cautions in my last reply, sure, tuna... Weekly to monthly. Very unhealthy. Unless the situation is dire, don't use tuna. Don't leave the broth water out food more than an hour unrefrigerated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a TCS article on how to encourage water intake:

Adding plain water to canned cat food is the easiest way. A water fountain may entice some cats to drink.

You don't want to add it to water because then you start your cat on not drinking unless it is flavored (like little kids and adding juice to water).
:yeah: