Chew toys

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Kiefer (who is now known as Kiefer-don't-chew-that) is currently in a chewing phase. I'm having to inspect all of his toys and his poop because he is chewing off pieces. Some toys such as Aoibhe's favorite, glitter balls, are no longer allowed because he will chew them to oblivion. We had yucky purple and green upchuck masses before we realized he was doing that. Fortunately, there haven't been any blockages and he doesn't go after cords.

So does anyone have suggestions for cat chew toys? Something that will satisfy to his desire to chew but isn't a potential blockage. We've tried plastic straws but he chews on them only a little.

If he was a Labrador, I would have lots of alternatives. Cat toys tend to be more delicate.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh there is one brand that has a bunch of chew toys! Lola is a chewer too & it's not something she'll ever outgrow (she's a perpetual kitten).

Here is a link to Petatages "dental" toys - which are designed to be chewable. We have the dental health chews.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I picked some of those up. He's chewed the tassels off of the Chilly Kitty Chew,
but they don't seem to have the bulk he likes. I'm hoping he grows out of this.

Is there maybe a dog chew toy that might work?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh there is one brand that has a bunch of chew toys! Lola is a chewer too & it's not something she'll ever outgrow (she's a perpetual kitten).

Here is a link to Petatages "dental" toys - which are designed to be chewable. We have the dental health chews.
YEP!!! This exactly what I would recommend too
. I have quite a few of these toys and my older kittens still chew on them and knock them around. And they really do last and seem indestructible. I got mine at Petsmart.
My fav store

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try something like a Puppy Kong toy or some other dog chew toy? There are smaller ones for dogs, not just huge things for huge dogs. Not long after we got Genever, I bought her a bone shaped chew toy that was made of tennis ball material. She had some good chewing fun with it and she didn't destroy it.

(and if there's something I'm missing that you shouldn't give dog toys to cats, please let me know.. just realising now I'm the only one suggesting dog toys. If they are somehow dangerous, then I retract my suggestion and apologise!!)

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty is also a chewer/eater... I have had to take away MOST cloth things (his favorite toys) as he will eat them. This includes the prestiges dental chews
Most cat toys have parts on them that he will eat.

I got some small dog toys for him to chew (a little rubber duck, an itty bitty kong, a few teething rings (gel free), etc. He will chew on them like mad. Oh and a gummy worm *Cat toy*. But 90% of his safe chew toys are DOGS.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by JustJayde

My kitty is also a chewer/eater... I have had to take away MOST cloth things (his favorite toys) as he will eat them. This includes the prestiges dental chews
Most cat toys have parts on them that he will eat.

I got some small dog toys for him to chew (a little rubber duck, an itty bitty kong, a few teething rings (gel free), etc. He will chew on them like mad. Oh and a gummy worm *Cat toy*. But 90% of his safe chew toys are DOGS.
I was hoping for someone had experience with dog chew toys. I've had to take away a couple of fleece toys as he chewed one apart and I never did find the pieces
Anything with a tail or tassel is now confiscated.

I was wondering how durable the cat worm was.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the ORKA wiggle worm and the ORKA mice (which you can put a treat inside) The wiggle worm was chewed apart by Presley, so I disposed of it. The mice are fine except they ate the tails off
. Small enough piece that I was hoping not to have to worry about. If the cat is a real strong chewer then the wiggle worm is not strong enough to withstand that type of chewing. Go figure
because it is a chew toy, but I feel it is unsafe, at least it was for Presley.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I have the ORKA wiggle worm and the ORKA mice (which you can put a treat inside) The wiggle worm was chewed apart by Presley, so I disposed of it. The mice are fine except they ate the tails off
. Small enough piece that I was hoping not to have to worry about. If the cat is a real strong chewer then the wiggle worm is not strong enough to withstand that type of chewing. Go figure
because it is a chew toy, but I feel it is unsafe, at least it was for Presley.
After the fleece incident, I think that will be the case with Kiefer Don'tChewThat.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Perhaps you are talking about the ORKA kat wiggle worm?
I've never seen them in person, just knew I saw them on the Petstages website & wondered if that's what you meant.
Yup that is the one...

Originally Posted by katachtig

I was hoping for someone had experience with dog chew toys. I've had to take away a couple of fleece toys as he chewed one apart and I never did find the pieces
Anything with a tail or tassel is now confiscated.

I was wondering how durable the cat worm was.
My boy gnaws on that worm for all he is worth and we have had no problms and some people say they fall apart fast - I would say just make sure you supervise! I also have a couple of dog teething/fetch rings that are a rubber he likes to chew and an itty bitty rubber chicken dog toy- all of these were from petsmart I believe - so they are out there

I haven't tried any dog chew sticks but without a doubt know my boy would love to gnaw on them, rawhide is bad though (even for dogs). As are tennis balls (they ruin the teeth).

Go to the pet shop and look for the tiny toys meant for teacup size dogs and I bet you will find something rubbery that will stand up to your chewer!

Yellowtimer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realized I'm about 6 years late to the discussion but I can say that I was impressed with the Petstages Wiggle Worm. My aunt will often bring a gift for the family cats at Christmas. One year she got the wiggle worm. Our cats are not big chewers but they sure love chewing on the wiggle worm. I'm thinking about getting one for my new kitten who is teething quite a bit right now.