Chemistry help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mariya, that's it. The hydroxyl functional group. The radical is written with the dot (it appears it can go before or after).

I really appreciate the help, everyone!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait - the original question was about the oxygen. So basically O- is an electrically charged oxygen molecule? It is missing an electron? (The hydroxyl radical "stole" it?)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Wait - the original question was about the oxygen. So basically O- is an electrically charged oxygen molecule?Yes It is missing an electron?No, it has an extra electron (The hydroxyl radical "stole" it? )

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Wait - the original question was about the oxygen. So basically O- is an electrically charged oxygen molecule? It is missing an electron? (The hydroxyl radical "stole" it?)
Also... on your original question:
The context is photocatalysis. "Photonic energy catalyses the breaking of ambient oxygen and water vapor molecules into O- and -OH (hydroxyl) molecules.
You are breaking down two different molecules - Water H-O-H, and O-O (Oxygen), so that's why you are getting both negative O-- and OH-; they are not coming from the same molecule... They are coming form different ones... they did not "steal" the electrons from each other, what you are reading is part of their respective molecules.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

It is a tough one! I gotta say, it's been many years since I touched anything related to chemistry... 1996 was the last time to be exact!
I still see things differently though, that is for sure - 5 years of university, at least that you would hope, right?
But I forgot the majority... Man, when I think I studied incredibly hard for soooo long... wow
I actually chose it because it was a tougher major than biology (seems everyone and their brother has a degree in biology). Hoping it will net me some good $. I already work in the environmental chemistry field - hoping some of the clients will appreciate my many years of experience + a degree when I'm finally done.
Got a list of local companies that might have better paying jobs! I've already been in the field 4 years, I'm figuring at least another 6 before my Bachelors is done.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Also... on your original question:

You are breaking down two different molecules - Water H-O-H, and O-O (Oxygen), so that's why you are getting both negative O-- and OH-; they are not coming from the same molecule... They are coming form different ones... they did not "steal" the electrons from each other, what you are reading is part of their respective molecules.
Thanks! I'll muddle through this somehow.