Checking on those affected by severe weather.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought that i would make this thread to let everyone check in that they are all okay during the winter storm
Marshall Michigan USA

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Denver Colorado, we're ok, even the youngest smallest squirrel survived the ridiculously insane drop in temperature that occurred all in one day, from 53F to minus 10. We saw a robin or two yesterday so they survived as well. For them not to migrate is somewhat unusual, so it's inspired me to see if I can come up with a way to provide some goodies for them that the squirrels can't get to. We have poly pipe poles in place to support the hail netting that we put up in the spring for the apple trees, and I'm hoping I can use the cross beam/pole at the top of one of these to put the suet feeder with mealworms, raisins and a whole apple or two additionally (the suet feeder needs to be on its side since robins require a flat surface, I guess, they don't hang from feeders like finches and other birds do).

Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota got simply pummeled with loads of snow, bitter cold and wind. The National Guard was sent in, bless them all, so people including elders are getting dug out, and fuel and food delivered.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in western Massachusetts we got wind(50mph), rain, then sleet and bitter cold. We are fine except for the fact our downstairs heat went out as I said in another post. Thankfully we have a wood stove on the floor the heat isn’t working on so didn’t freeze. I am exhausted though from getting up every 2 hours to feed the stove since Christmas Eve.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neck of the woods escaped the worst of everything it seems. I have a light up nativity in my backyard and the star went out during everything. I’ve never seen things freeze the way they did. Walking across the grass and leaves to check on it felt very weird. You can tell it froze quickly. We got some snow that the sun quickly melted but the wind and temperature drop froze. It doesn’t feel like normal winter grass.

The news from around Buffalo has been very sad.:sniffle::frown:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't get a huge amount of snow in Central Ohio, too far south for lake effect snow. Everything is covered. It was bitter cold for several days. I left the faucets trickling to try to keep the faucets from freezing and they didn't. Some of the roads and entrances and exits from the freeways were still treacherous Monday morning when it is that cold salt doesn't work.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Western NY, we got two days of 60+ mph winds, with some topping 70mph, and heavy snow. The Buffalo airport is still closed after getting over 4 feet of snow, but is expected to reopen sometime today. So far, 28 people have lost their lives from storm-related causes, but that number may yet go up as more cars are dug out of the drifts. Buffalo still has a driving ban, with travel advisories for the rest of the area. Here, we got around 3 feet of snow and single-digit temps, but should get up to 40 today, and warmer yet by the weekend. I was concerned about Grumpy, the feral community cat, but he has come through. A little thinner, perhaps, but judging by the way he's eating, that won't last long.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
well it looks like the worst might be over here, the complex parking lot is slowly clearing up from the ice and snow that was all over it . twice i nearly fell from the ice being on the walkway that our sorry maintenace man didnt clear