Cheap Toy, Stronger Alternative?

RibbetGidget

Pretty Kitty
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I'm posting this in the hopes I can get some help. My cat is super picky about toys, I have gotten some really expensive, very nice toys.

Regardless of what I get her, these will forever be her favorite. Constantly playing with them and she will never let them go. These toys are SUPER cheap, at the dollar tree for $1 per mouse. I have bought her at least 15 or 20. She rips through them like no other. They last only hours. Now, the fluff isn't good for her so I have to take it away whenever she busts it open.

Now, is there another toy just like this I can get for her? One that will last longer? I have taken the shaker (which is like a small plastic baby rattle shaker) and put it in other toys. It's not the same for her. Nothing gets her like these toys.

If there isn't another one like it, how could I make these stronger so they last a little longer?

Thanks, in advance, guys!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take a look in Chewys or Dr. Fosters to see if there are any similar to her favorites. Or, if you have a Pet Store nearby. Once you find some potential substitutes I would put all of her dollar store ones away so her only choice is to play with the new ones. One durable toy that may appeal to her are the Yeoww brand catnip toys. They are made out of a heavy canvas so more difficult to tear apart.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1BF9A65F-9D65-4C43-8F3E-87D05C7F7A53.jpeg
F4E886AE-49A6-4045-A8C8-3FB3BFB585DD.jpeg
AC40254F-A205-4488-9145-1B481DEE273B.jpeg
CB32DE0F-AF8D-4E7D-B87A-929FD39BA23B.jpeg
I make my own DIY toys lol I would try buying another cheap but stronger toy and make it attractive through catnip or whatever she goes crazy for! Every cat is different, my cat loves this little blue cheap toy I got from dollar general as well as my DIYs...
The pic with many toys are just a few of my DIYs. The pic of the blue mouse and the cat is one of her favs from dollar general. And the other black and white mouse from a local pet shop was once very pretty with a feathery tail, my cat loved it too much she riped the feathers out! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RibbetGidget

Pretty Kitty
Kitten
Purraise
I would take a look in Chewys or Dr. Fosters to see if there are any similar to her favorites. Or, if you have a Pet Store nearby. Once you find some potential substitutes I would put all of her dollar store ones away so her only choice is to play with the new ones. One durable toy that may appeal to her are the Yeoww brand catnip toys. They are made out of a heavy canvas so more difficult to tear apart.
I'm not going to take away the toy she loves just so she might play with a different toy that lasts longer. She likes these toys, so this comment doesn't apply to the question? I'm not a fan of taking toys away from her, so I'm not going to do it.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to take away the toy she loves just so she might play with a different toy that lasts longer. She likes these toys, so this comment doesn't apply to the question? I'm not a fan of taking toys away from her, so I'm not going to do it.
I understand! I would never take my kitty’s toys! My heart would hurt so bad lol!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I thought from your post that you wanted to switch toys because she was tearing them apart. And if the fluff inside isn’t good for her do you pick them all up when you aren’t there ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, if they're only $1, buy a bunch and pick up the fluff when she's done. Whatever makes her happy, right? :D