Cheap canned food suggestions for big old cats.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For 4 years we've been dealing with chronic UTI with one of our main coins. They're 10 yrs old and weigh 17 and 25 lbs. Neither is overweight.

We've been feeding them 50/50 wet/dry for the majority of their lives but I think the dry is causing our UTI cat to develop constipation which causes stress induced UTI. So I'm going to supplement his remaining dry with pumpkin and try to convert them to pure wet. Cost is the problem.

I would like to use something with moderate levels of phosphorus due to their age.

Suggestions are welcome.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which country are you in?
Without being specific. Its much easier to make a decent cat food with wet, than making a decent cat food with dry...
This means, most wet brands are OK, thus also most of the cheap ones...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which country are you in?
Without being specific. Its much easier to make a decent cat food with wet, than making a decent cat food with dry...
This means, most wet brands are OK, thus also most of the cheap ones...
United States.

Cost is important because they're big cats. They're current daily diet is 1.25 cups 50/50 Hills c/d stress + Wysong Uretic AND 2-cans Hills c/d stress. (3.9 oz/ea).

The wet has pork liver in it so they really like it but pork is almost impossible to find anymore.

They've never been fans of wet chicken or rabbit (unless raw), .

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat intolerant to chicken and doesn't like rabbit or fish. She eats fancy feast classics turkey&giblets,ff classic beef,and more expensive daves healthy choice

CatLadyofNine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I’ve also had UTI issues and blockages in some of my cats through the years. I started feeding wet food as a result, but they still had flare up’s occasionally. I discovered that giving them warmed chicken broth helped them clear the infection or crystals, which I gave them multiple times a day. I also gave them Homeopet UTI drops. I normally get broths specifically made for cats, like Fancy Feast broths or Friskies, but there are other options. Human broths would work the same, just watch out for garlic and onions. Try to avoid fish in their diet if you can, which I know it is extremely hard when almost everything has fish in it. I used to feed Fancy Feast but stopped when my 8 year old female started getting constipated, which surprised me because I didn’t think it would be possible being on a wet food dry food combo. The pumpkin didn’t work for her, so I tried Miralax for her which worked. 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in wet food. This is just what worked for me and my cats, hope it helps you a bit!