Changing our will for the cats

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For a few years now, my brother and SIL had said they were willing to take any and all cats in our house, should anything happen to both Rick and me. We have money set aside in our wills to cover expenses for our cats and the money would go to them upon our deaths. However, recently, my brother said they really don't want to take on the maintenance of seven cats; they have one of their own and she would not do well if other cats were put into her house. The cat has a disease, but I forget what it is......it might be feline herpes, but I'm not sure.

I'd talked with my sister and, although they now have seven cats, too, she said that they would take our clan on and do the best they can with them. Their oldest cats are (maybe) seven years old, so they're going to have them for a while. Out of our seven, one is over twenty years old and two are eighteen years old at this point. One is about eleven or so. The other three are right around three and four years of age. So, we're thinking that, within the next three or four years, we'll probably lose 3 cats to old age. Which will leave us with the remaining four. (And please don't take any of this the wrong way; we're trying to be logical here....we don't wish any cat to pass. But we're trying to face facts. And try to rationally deal with the fact that something could happen to us. You never know. I need to know that our kids will have a good home.)

Anyway, she and my BIL have said they'll take on our gang, should it ever become necessary. And I am thankful. We have directed our attorney to change our wills to name my sister and BIL as "parents" to whomever is here at the time. And we're going in on Friday morning to sign the revised wills. 

My sister also told me that, although she knows how difficult it will be, I am to please try not to take any more cats in. The idea of having 14 cats in her house is a little disconcerting, to say the least. I completely understand that. 

At least I won't have to worry about my cats if anything happens to us. I was a little upset when my brother told me they wouldn't take them because he's promised me for quite a while now that they would. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how things change. My last cat Grey :rbheart: , had a thymoma, diabetes, CRF, and a delicate immune system. There was no way that I'd take on another cat while she was alive. I just couldn't. 8 days after her death, I adopted these 3 sillies. I got 3 so that if something happened to 1, it might not be as difficult to insert a new one. That may or may not be false.

As for planning for your cats, that is a great idea for everyone to do. Death isn't always timely. My cats have a godfather and he is to get these cats, my grinder, and my freezer.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is precisely the reason hubby and I have decided not to take any more cats here as pets. We still have Muffin who is almost fourteen. He is diagnosed with cancer and thyroid issues. He has already had surgery last year for the cancer and it has returned according to the vet. So we know his time is short. I would have to go look at Mattie's records, but I think she is eight or nine. She very well could live five or six more years or maybe more. Currently she is healthy. We are both past 65 and have decided we don't want any cats to outlive us. Also it is always possible that you can't care for them even if you are still living. I do think it is wise to have plans like you have made for your cats. Hugs and love to your sister forever. You are blessed that she has agreed to do this for you and I understand her not wanting you to take in any more cats. I wish all could have plans in place. We have nobody who we could ask to do this.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We also have a provision in our will for any pets that we may have at the time. I do think I have a backup if he ever falls through, although I have never asked her. Maybe it is something I should think about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am blessed with my family.....I really am. 
 All she asks is that I really think long and hard before bringing another cat into the mix. And I don't blame her. But she also knows that if there'a little boy or girl out there who needs us, we'll do what we can. And she understands that, too.

We don't have anybody else who would even think about taking on such a responsibility. If it came to it, we could probably split the younger kids up, although I hate to split Tabby and Muffin as they're best buddies. And no way would we separate Bootser from Boo and Pepe....I think that would be hard on all three of them....they are so old and they've been together ever since the kids were born. The other two, Mollipop and Amber...well, they'd be OK. I think Molli would do well in a home with maybe one or two male cats. Amber would be the same, although it would take her a lot longer to adjust. I'm just glad that we don't have to think about separating them.  

It's so hard to make decisions like this; it's hard to even think about it, but we're trying to think ahead as much as we can.