Change.org petition to make LeVar Burton the next host of Jeopardy

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
He would be a good host. I liked him ever since he was in Roots. I also like him in Star Trek: The Next Generation. He is a smart guy and his is likable, so why not.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of names being thrown out there for the next host. Many people would like to see a non-white person of any gender host the game. Alex Trebek has been quoted in an interview that he would like to see diversity taken into consideration when hiring his successor.

I've always loved LeVar Burton in Reading Rainbow. He's currently doing a Reading Rainbow for adults podcast called LeVar Burton Reads that's really good. I've seen him in Star Trek but I could never get into that show.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd at least like to see LeVar Burton's name mentioned along with George Stephanopoulus, Ken Jennings, and everyone else who have been named frequently as possible new hosts. He's just as qualified for the position as the others, if not more so given his background and experience. If you don't agree with the petition or what factors might be taken into account when the people in charge of Jeopardy hire a new host, feel free to move along and ignore this thread.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd at least like to see LeVar Burton's name mentioned along with George Stephanopoulus, Ken Jennings, and everyone else who have been named frequently as possible new hosts. He's just as qualified for the position as the others, if not more so given his background and experience. If you don't agree with the petition or what factors might be taken into account when the people in charge of Jeopardy hire a new host, feel free to move along and ignore this thread.
OK

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that was directed at you ;).

Representation is important.

Yeah, I think LeVar Burton would be a good choice. Although after watching so much TNG, I feel a bit startled every time I see him without his VISOR on, lol.

Jeopardy needs someone fairly serious, not too jokey (unlike most game shows), and who comes across as intelligent. So LeVar would be good that way. So would Ken Jennings, although he's just your average nerd, not a TV personality, and I'm not sure he wants to be on screen that much. I don't think I've ever seen George Stephanopoulos. . .haha, can't remember the last time I watched a morning show.

Alex Trebek said he wanted someone more youthful---like Betty White! But I think he was joking.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't watch Star Trek, so I mostly knew him from Reading Rainbow, and I think he'd do a good job. I agree with W Willowy - you definitely need someone more serious/non jokey that comes across as intelligent.

Just don't pick Tyra Banks - she's the worst part of DWTS this season!

I do think it's going to be big shoes to fill regardless. For some many of us, Alex Trebek just *was* Jeopardy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think it's going to be big shoes to fill regardless. For some many of us, Alex Trebek just *was* Jeopardy.
Definitely Huge Shoes to fill. Alex was the epitome of Jeopardy.. Someone Serious, intelligent, humble, kind, caring.... willing to allow the participants to "shine"....

I do not envy anyone who gets this job... I feel sorry for them...

I watch too much Star Trek. Levar Burton, as Geordie---without his visor is not a comfortable image for me... but... I grew up on the franchise.. still watch it to this day..

George Stephanopoulos will not leave ABC news and GMA for Jeopardy..

Thinking perhaps Meredith Viera... former newscaster, talk show and current game show host...