Change in taste after spay

Shelly___b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my kitty Hershey spayed a week ago today. We found her in the woods so not exactly sure of her age, but likely 6-8months. She has been super clingy since about the second day post op. Crying, rubbing on me, keeping me up at night getting in my face. Strange thing is her tail is puffed out when she’s doing this. She tries eating the dog every time I feed the dog which is unlike her. Today, I gave her extra temptation treats bc she acted like she was starving. She was then content to go sleep by herself and not follow me. Turns out, she will no longer eat her normal blue buffalo food. Bc I have another kitty and a auto feeder I didn’t realize she wasn’t eating. Has anyone had this happen? My thought is maybe she is associating that food with her pain and discomfort from the spay. I’ve had animals my whole life and never had this happen! She ate the day she came home, so I didn’t think anything else about it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be, the anesthesia may have affected her taste for a while. Offer her some other food and see if she will eat that, she has to have nutrition to heal. If she refuses, get her some Delectable Lickables, or some other lickable treat. to get her back into the routine. You can worry about changing her back once she is healed.