Change In Kitten’s Fur

zoerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the past week I’ve noticed a change in the look of my kitten’s fur. She’s a 5-month-old flame point Siamese. I know the coat of a cat can tell you a lot about their health so I want to make sure it’s nothing bad. Her fur just looks a little separated and rippled when before it was very sleek and straight. It’s not greasy or anything like that, and the skin itself seems fine. Overall, she seems to be in good health and is very active. I couldn’t get a good picture, but I found a picture of another cat that looks similar. Should I be worried or is this just a normal change in her fur since she’s growing?

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol I was going to say, that isn't a 5 month old flame point Siamese! haha. Anyway in the picture here, that cat is very overweight and that is what happens when they can't groom themselves and they are large, their fur sort of clumps up and seperates and looks like ridges.

A 5 month old kitten is surely fine. She may not be one to groom herself as well as she will when she is older. It is most likely just a normal change in her fur. A picture would be great if you could manage one. Otherwise ask the vet when she goes in next like to be spayed if she isn't already.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With my last cat his coat would get like the one in the image when it was dry, usually after a winter of sitting on the heating vent.

To be honest your kitten's fur looks fine to me. If it is just around the legs it might be due to the fur bunching up when s/he is moving. If it is all over it could be diet related. I don't know what you feed her, but more hydration (wet food) could help.

Edit: also hormonal changes can change coat quality in females.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does look pretty normal and nothing to worry about. Good point about hormonal changes, is she spayed yet?

More hydration/canned food is ALWAYS better for cats so consider that also. What do you feed her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That does look pretty normal and nothing to worry about. Good point about hormonal changes, is she spayed yet?

More hydration/canned food is ALWAYS better for cats so consider that also. What do you feed her?
She has been spayed, and she eats a mix of wet and dry food. Is it possibly due to a change in weather? We had a very hot summer, and it is now considerably colder.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly, but this really isn't anything worrysome. That is a part of their body that moves and bends as they walk and jump and lay and it just separates sometimes.