Cervical mucocele after dental surgery?

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, fun. My cat had a cleaning where she had to have1 tooth removed due to it trying to be reabsorbed into the gums.
She gets this soft mass under her jaw and I brought her in too be diagnosed as above. Cervical mucocele (or sialocele). She biopsied it to find it filled with saliva. On the side she removed her tooth. She drained it, said she not have to come back again for it to be repeated.
But within a week, we're back to it being the same size again. I cannot take this cat to the vets every week. Not only will it get costly, but car rides are seriously traumatic for her. She has a large dog kennel she goes in because every thine she has diarrhea and pees and throws up at least once. She also over salivates to the extent she looks like she's a kitty Santa!
I've read they can do surgeries and that's to remove their salivary gland. But that seems awful. Don't they need that? She's a dry good kitty and will rarely touch wet food. I've tried everything. So she would really need those things, no? I'm at a loss

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but to tackle the bacteria in her mouth would colloidal silver help?

This site has more information further down on the page:
Colloidal Silver for pets

To summarize, Colloidal Silver for pets is a natural antibiotic so you can;
Spray onto water and food to remove impurities and kill bad bacteria
Lightly mist your pet's skin to help heal abrasions, superficial cuts, allergic reactions, hot spots etc.
Spray your pet’s teeth and gums to help maintain oral health.
Colloidal Silver can only kill bad bacteria. The bacteria that is supposed to be in the gut system has a lipid coating that the silver cannot break through.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not a bacterial thing unfortunately.
When the doc removed the tooth she must've nicked something? The reading I've done said it's a trauma or damage thing. The salivatory gland can begin become injured. Then the saliva gets into tissue there. It becomes inflamed, due to it not belonging there.:(
She took an needle to draw from the area. Prepared to send out for a biopsy and found it was only saliva.
But thanks on the thoughts.;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure you've already seen this article, or something pretty similar, but it does appear that surgery is about the only way to resolve it.
Salivary Mucocele in Cats (petplace.com)

I found numerous articles on the internet about it, so while it is more common in dogs than cats, it apparently occurs enough to warrant such attention. If you do choose to look into surgery - or, at least for a second opinion, please find an internal medicine vet as your starting point for the consult. A specialty vet group may be the best place to go to for guidance vs. a regular vet. Your vet may have some recommendations to such a group; if not, you can search the internet for a specialty vet group near you.