Cbd treats for cats?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do they work? Calming? Stress relief?

any sources, brand?

if it works I might grind some up and smoke it….like the college days in the 70s…ha!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Some members have had good results :) although I don't have specifics.

A couple things to keep in mind, it's not legal in all of the United States, and it can cause some medications to not work as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Some members have had good results :) although I don't have specifics.

A couple things to keep in mind, it's not legal in all of the United States, and it can cause some medications to not work as well.
Actually my daughter gave me some Naysa Cbd pet treats she got from her vet in Little Rock just recently . I think around 300 mg in 30 tablets but kinda expensive $20-25 bottle. Guess I’ll see. Was hoping some members had some results and brands.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using Ellevet CBD paste (recommended by our vet) with our arthritic girl and it did seem like it helped her. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroid several months ago and I had read an article that it can mess with thyroid meds. I couldn't find any conclusive evidence one way or the other and our vet also didn't know. So, I just stopped giving it to her as I didn't want it to mess with her thyroid/thyroid meds. Now that we are giving her gabapentin and the Solencia injection for arthrits, which seem to be working. I can't speak to how it works for stress/calming because our old lady is very sassy with or without it.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even though I’ve used CBD i go back and forth a lot with it. CBD Is made from hemp and doesn’t have any of the “High” attributes that cannabis has, and it’s scientifically proven that it’s effective with pain and inflammation. BUT it’s potentially harmful, it doesn’t play nice with a lot of medications used for anxiety, thyroid issues or allergies, in fact with steroids it’s becomes a part of the allergy - turning a small skin allergy into something much bigger. The biggest one is they most concerning - it could be covering up a serious condition. Even though there’s a lot of head scratching i really feel a vet should be in the loop somewhere to monitor progress, after all if anything went wrong they would be the first person you’d call. There’s just a lot of variables, and brand shopping suggests there is no standard along with no official guidelines or dosage information. I would never dissuade anyone just encourage some decent research first, after all were making a decision for our fur babies.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow..sooo many. This is so complicated because none tout any testing by independent labs or certification.

thanks btw
It’s because no one wants the liability.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was using Ellevet CBD paste (recommended by our vet) with our arthritic girl and it did seem like it helped her. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroid several months ago and I had read an article that it can mess with thyroid meds. I couldn't find any conclusive evidence one way or the other and our vet also didn't know. So, I just stopped giving it to her as I didn't want it to mess with her thyroid/thyroid meds. Now that we are giving her gabapentin and the Solencia injection for arthrits, which seem to be working. I can't speak to how it works for stress/calming because our old lady is very sassy with or without it.
There’s been some endocrine research on the Interaction between CBD and some thyroid medications and it’s found that they compete for metabolism in the same pathway, so thyroxine would accumulate before the body metabolizes. The big worry though would be giving CBD for something like depression without knowing there’s an underlying thyroid problem.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There’s been some endocrine research on the Interaction between CBD and some thyroid medications and it’s found that they compete for metabolism in the same pathway, so thyroxine would accumulate before the body metabolizes. The big worry though would be giving CBD for something like depression without knowing there’s an underlying thyroid problem.
Thank you! Do you have an article you could link to? I'm not using it on my cats any more, but I would love to have a source to send to our friend that is using it on his cat (without an appropriate vet visit first). I'm trying to encourage him to take his cat to the actual vet...instead of just trying stuff and hoping it works. :(

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Do you have an article you could link to? I'm not using it on my cats any more, but I would love to have a source to send to our friend that is using it on his cat (without an appropriate vet visit first). I'm trying to encourage him to take his cat to the actual vet...instead of just trying stuff and hoping it works. :(
Here you go!
It’s a fairly unbiased article
CBD Oil and Thyroid Medication - Health Magazine ✅
CBD and other medications: Proceed with caution - Harvard Health

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If medical marijuana is legal in your state, maybe stop in a dispensary and ask. The bud tenders might know.