Cats third eyelid showing? Maybe Haws syndrome?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home a new kitten about a month ago while already having a three year old resident cat. Kitty was in quarantine for a few weeks and now she is living with her adult brother. Last week the big cat had to go to the vet because he wasn’t eating for several days and had diarrhea. blood test and x-rays and came back normal. Vet gave him fluid and an appetite stimulant and ever since then he has some diarrhea but not as bad and is eating normally.

Big cat is acting totally fine now. Playing and eating and drinking and pooping (some diarrhea) but I noticed a few days ago that his third eyelids are showing. After reading some freaky things on Google I called his vet and the vet pretty much said not to worry about it unless he starts to get lethargic or not eating again. I just feel like all this weird stuff is happening lately and I’m not sure what the cause could be or how concerned I should be. I read some thing about Haws syndrome. Could my cat maybe have that?? Should I insist on a vet visit or hold off? I’m hesitant to take to the vet because we hat to take cats 3 times last week and it’s starting to add up.

Also, both cats were dewormed about a week ago after seeing tapeworms in kittys poop. They were still separated at the time so I don’t think big cat could have tapeworms but we dewormed him as well just in case because I thought I possibly saw a worm in a hair ball but couldn’t be sure.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very well could be Haw's, especially since he has diarrhea along with the third eyelids showing. From what I have read,when there is diarrhea, you try to treat that (deworming, etc) and the third eyelids should go back in time. Could the big cat be eating the kitten's food? That might be cause of tummy issues, especially if it's dry food that big cat isn't used to.

I would look into food being the culprit before rushing him to the Vet. These things often take care of themselves. You could always take in a fecal sample without taking in the cat.