Cats Suddenly Visiting/meowing Constantly At My Home

Lunalovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had a cat for 2 years and until now we had 1 other cat regularly visiting our garden, while a few others might just pass through. Suddenly in the past month, we now have 4-5 cats visiting our garden every single day, and weirdly, they all seem to be meowing at all kinds of hours outside our back door, whether my cat is out there or not. They sniff around the back door/cat flap area constantly and 5 minutes ago I actually heard one poke its head in the cat flap (it wasn't my cat as she was on the sofa!) It's utterly puzzling. The only thing that I can say has changed is we've gone from a mostly cement garden to laying down some organic soil for growing veg in the same time frame. Any ideas what's going on and how to assert boundaries? Ps my kitty is spade so definitely not on heat! Thanks all x

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't mention if you have food available for the other kitties to eat. Are they well fed kitties? You may be attracting friends or kitties in need. If you have food out you can take it up at night to discourage midnight snacks. Maybe they are finding your new garden a curiosity to explore and when the novelty wears off they will find a new amusement to explore. There is a spray called Fellaway that is supposed to make cats think things are pre marked if they are hoping to claim territory. It may just be that your kitty has friends!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lunalovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response! There's no food being left out so that's definitely not attracting them. Maybe the soil is just a fun play area/potty! And true, seems that all of the cats on the block want to hang out our yard now... maybe my kitty's just popular! :D thanks for suggestions!

Lunalovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And they're definitely well-fed kitties with owners, strays aren't really a thing around here :)

Lunalovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm totally happy to embrace the new kitty friends as obviously I love cats :) my only concern really has been that it might freak out my kitty and cause her to feel uncomfortable in her own home, or worse, leave home :( but I think I'm probably being over-protective... she's my baby though! :D

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there's a tabby tuxedo who likes to hang out on my deck in front of the sliders and peer into the kitchen. He's healthy-looking and well-fed, so he has to be someone's cat, not like the strays who flee at the first sight of a human. But he turns my two cats into howling, yowling, growling, hissy Halloween cats who charge the door trying to protect their house. I can't stand the noise when he's here. But when he finally leaves, my two return to normal after their fur goes back down.:lol: