Cats still don’t get along after 1.5 years

Shannonmichele

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A year and a half ago a hurt cat ran into my place of work after getting hit by a car. The other managers were going to throw him back out BUT OF COURSE I COULD NOT LET THEM. I scooped him up, got him to an emergency vet and set up a little home for him in the garage until we could get him tested and neutered due to the fact that we have 3 other cats. In the garage, I realized that he had been out in the wild, alone, for quite awhile so I began socializing him and we bonded. After about 2 weeks, we brought him inside and it did not go well. He then tried to literally murder 2 out of the 3 cats. He does get along with the other younger cat. We took a step back and separated them in pairs, scent swapped, feliway-ed, social boxed, leash trained and even replaced our bedroom door with a screen door. But even after 1.5 years, the newest cat still lunges at the 2 older cats whenever we take him on a leash or on the other side of the screen door. Our routine for the past year has been swapping the cats in pairs twice a day and doing feedings by the screen door along with leash time but nothing works. All cats are mostly content with life the way it is. They all feel like they own every part of the house and they all feel very loved. I am willing to keep doing this forever. I just wish they could all get along. I will take any and all ideas.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sedating him a little? I get calming treats on Amazon and use a small dose for vet visits and it does help. If it says three treats I give one. After a year and a half, there should be some compromise here. Can you see any progress since the early days? If you can it still may progress, though slowly. I have read on this site about introductions from other members that took a long time, maybe they will see this and contribute. I have had cats that took up to a year to coexist, and I know the family unit I have now still squabbles almost daily, but not to the extent they do real harm, though it sounds like it. I hope someone can come on and give some better advice. Bless you, for taking him in....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shannonmichele

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn’t know there were calming treats! I will definitely look into that! It has progressed slightly. He accidentally got into the room with the other cats and they squabbled but not nearly as bad. However the older cat was still traumatized for several days after. I’m also scared for an my squabbling because the ones he does not get along with are a very healthy 16 years old. We have talked about getting the “stray” cats nails trimmed regularly along with asking the vet if medication would be a good route. We just haven’t decided if that’s the right thing to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the calming treats just to take the edge off. If they didn't actually fight when in the same room, you might try longer exposure in small excrements. Your older cats will be less traumatized the longer they are let together and get comfortable with each other.