Cats sore chin all of a sudden

Abbeybrookes2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m panicking about my 6 month old kitten. She has recently been eating a new food brand (about 2 weeks). I have noticed this rash liked sore / swollen bottom lip for around 2 days. However, 2 days ago my husband fed the cats a ‘spoilt’ pouch by accident - it smelt vile (definitely expired and watery consistency rather than gravy). I managed to grab my other kittens food and throw it but my girl cat in the pics ate it. Could this be the cause of her mouth/chin sores? It’s just red and inflamed.
Or could this be an alergy? She has a ceramic bowl so I don’t think she’s allergic to her bowl.
If anyone could advise me let me know.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Has she had any diarrhea or vomiting since eating that food 2 days ago? Is she acting normal otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbeybrookes2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Has she had any diarrhea or vomiting since eating that food 2 days ago? Is she acting normal otherwise?
She has no vomiting or diarrhoea - acting normal otherwise. Just her chin and/or lip.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would get that chin looked at by a vet. It may be a thing some cats develop called eosinophilic granuloma complex, but I am not a vet and it’s impossible to tell from a picture. If it is, it is easily treated, but it should be treated before it gets larger. If that’s what it is.

ellen m

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That looks like when my cat had feline acne, very common and sometimes a reaction to certain foods. I had to take all gravy foods away from her and put some ointment on her chin for a week (can't remember the name of it). Talk to your vet, I'm guessing this is just that and not serious!

It's also supposedly good to use only glass or metal bowls, at least no plastic. Porcelain be good, but I switched to all glass and metal after the acne attack. That combined with the ointment and no gravy food made it all go away.

Good luck!