Cats seem hungrier than usual

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both our cats seem to be a bit hungrier than normal over the past couple of weeks - mostly at night. I know this could be a sign of something being wrong, but it seems like it’s odd that both cats are experiencing it at the same time. Could it be the change in seasons since it’s getting colder in the Northeast (they’re indoor cats)?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it could be that. My cats worry me by eating very little during the summer, so increased appetite as the weather gets colder makes sense.

How old are your cats? Have you had them for very long? Do they seem to have lost or gained weight recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One is 2 years old and the other is 4 years old. I’ve had them since they were kittens. I haven’t noticed any weight fluctuations recently.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I noticed when Feeby was younger, she seemed to eat more during cooler periods. I never noticed any real weight fluctuations with her doing so, though. Just a guess, but most cats seem to like being on the warm side, so perhaps they eat more when it is cooler to allow them to keep warmer through burning more 'fuel' (calories).

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a relatively new cat owner (this is our first cat and we've only had him for 1.5 years) and I definitely noticed an uptick in hunger in the colder months. I was told by a friend of mine who's had cats all her life that sometimes they do that seasonally, sometimes as in she's had cats that do it and cats that don't.