Cats nose w/ new black spot has grown into bump

TwizzleBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Has anyone else's cat experienced this before?
I've found many possibilities for what it could be through various threads, but no one has followed up after bringing their cat to the vet for similar things. Two weeks ago I noticed my cat had this small, black, freckle/birthmark-like spot on her nose pad. I thought maybe it was a scar from something unknown, she's an only furchild so no other animal did this.
20210310_171047_capture(1).jpg
Today, I noticed it has grown wider and into a mole, or blister like growth that isn't painful. I know I should take her to see the vet, and I'm going to, but I'd really like to know what it is or what caused it. She's an inside cat, doesn't have fleas, or mites. All she has is hyperthyroidism and a bump on her nose. Any ideas? Your help or own experience of this would help tremendously!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
First thought with something like this is that it could be a malicious growth (raised bumps are always a red flag, regardless of where they show up), so you're definitely doing the right thing by taking your kitty in. While black spots on the lips and nose can be normal, especially in red and tortie cats, they're always flat.

It could be something benign, or even a viral lesion, though it doesn't look like something I'd expect for the latter. I imagine what's most likely to happen at the vet, at least initially, is a fine needle aspiration -- they'll carefully take a sample from inside the lesion, and look at it under the microscope. It's not a definitive diagnostic, but it generally gives a good idea of whether it's something that needs immediate removal.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree it does look like some form of a blister. If you don't mind my asking, what treatment is she on for the Hyperthyroidism? Our cat was recently diagnosed with HT and I know Methimazole in the pill form can have a lot of side effects. However, I don't think what your cat is experiencing is one of them. Regardless, can you send this pic to your vet and ask their opinion as to whether or not she should be seen?