Cats might have lapped a bit of wine

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In her constant and endless search for food, during the night Freya knocked down a bottle of white wine we had inadvertently left out on the kitchen counter. The bottle fell on a side (it didn't roll on the floor), the cork came off and part of the content spilled on the counter and dripped on the floor.
It might be possible that one or both cats may have stepped in the wine and then they may have licked it off their paws.
I doubt they lapped it off the floor.

Should I expect any reaction?
I smelled both cats' mouth for wine smell, and it was fine.
They ate well and used the litter, they both look fine and walk straight :lol: but they looked a little more subdued than their usual, though it might be the dull weather.

My God, I don't know how to keep her calm anymore!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I doubt that a tiny little bit licked off of a paw would hurt them. Apparently alcohol exposure affects pets the same way it does people. The best thing to do is let them sleep it off.

Can Cats and Dogs Drink Beer or Alcohol? | PetMD

But if your cats are acting the same as they usually do and haven't thrown up I don't think you need to worry.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like the smell of alcohol and stay away from it. The bottle wouldn't have had that much smell and was probably knocked over by accident.

Kittens/teenage cats and young adults have tons of energy, they're supposed to, they're supposed to investigate everything around them every day, several times a day, because the world is a new and ever changing place. It's hardwired into them. Just enjoy this phase, secure in the knowledge that they will continue to grow up and become sedate adult cats who aren't much interested in what you're doing. Though most continue to be interested in found food. Just like people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like the smell of alcohol and stay away from it. The bottle wouldn't have had that much smell and was probably knocked over by accident.

Kittens/teenage cats and young adults have tons of energy, they're supposed to, they're supposed to investigate everything around them every day, several times a day, because the world is a new and ever changing place. It's hardwired into them. Just enjoy this phase, secure in the knowledge that they will continue to grow up and become sedate adult cats who aren't much interested in what you're doing. Though most continue to be interested in found food. Just like people.
Yes, no doubt the bottled was knowcked over by accident, but because she was probably looking for something else.

I would enjoy this phase as long as she isn' tbreaking anything in the house, like she does nearly everyday. My main concern is that she might get hurt by her own curiosity. She snoops just everywhere, be it a safe place or thing, or a dangerous one. And chews on everything, just in case it is edible (plastic, cardboard, wood, leaves in the garden, wood, among what she has tasted already).
She chewed on and swallowed my eye glasses string about three months ago, we panicked for days!

A few days ago she managed to steal a little bit of a cake with some spirits in it, so I guess that the smell of alcohol wasn't bad enough, maybe it was outweighed by the sweet smell.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say cats don't like sweet, but mine always seemed to.

All you can do is kitten proof your house. Put all the breakable stuff in cabinets fastened with hook and eye locks, or boxes until the kittens are three years old. It's only stuff. That way you don't have to worry. I'd also put heavy things like metal book ends away. They may bounce but could injury a kitten if pushed off the shelf onto her. (It missed the cat by an inch and that was when the non-breakable heavy things went into boxes.)

Just look at every item in your house - will it break if dropped? If yes, put it in a box. Will it poison the cat if eaten? If yes - box it.

Zenning out the house will give you a sense of peace and serenity, which wouldn't be a bad thing, would it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say cats don't like sweet, but mine always seemed to.
Freya seems to like just everything, sweet, salt, bitter, sour. No matter how it does taste, if it can chewed on, she eats it.
Currently, I'm trying to keep her appetite at bay with dishes of green salad dressed with a tiny bit of olive oil. Both cats love it, I found that out when Freya kept stealing and pushing her nose in my dishes at lunch or dinner. This way I can keep their stomach busy without making them fat.

Zenning out the house will give you a sense of peace and serenity, which wouldn't be a bad thing, would it.
We already tried to keep dangerous items away from her, but sometimes it happens we forget something. Like last night.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you try. So much stuff is where it's always been that it's really hard to think of. One thing we did was put all the heavy hardback books on the bottom two shelves of the bookcases.

the salad thing is amazing. I've had some who played with salad ingredients, but none who ate them. But then I didn't put olive oil on the parts they were dragging around the house.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats will be fine.

I have one cat that is fanatic about salad, will eat that over boiled chicken breasts.

I have another cat that I once caught licking my vodka out of a shot glass, yea, I am still baffled by that one. I was mixing drinks and did not even think a cat would ever bother with that stuff.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In her constant and endless search for food, during the night Freya knocked down a bottle of white wine we had inadvertently left out on the kitchen counter. The bottle fell on a side (it didn't roll on the floor), the cork came off and part of the content spilled on the counter and dripped on the floor.
It might be possible that one or both cats may have stepped in the wine and then they may have licked it off their paws.
I doubt they lapped it off the floor.

Should I expect any reaction?
I smelled both cats' mouth for wine smell, and it was fine.
They ate well and used the litter, they both look fine and walk straight :lol: but they looked a little more subdued than their usual, though it might be the dull weather.

My God, I don't know how to keep her calm anymore!
My cat actually likes red wine and will lick the drips on the side of the bottle if I don’t keep it away from her. She goes after it every time she sees the bottle. I have to hide it. Doesn’t go for white though. :lol: But she doesn’t seem impaired after so I think a tiny bit is not to worry too much about.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mayabear mayabear does your cat like bread? I've noticed more of a yeast (vit B) smell with red wine than with white.