cats kidney failure

momomomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can cat kidneys heal themselves? My 2.5 months kitten, after blood test, was diagnosted with renal failure with all symptoms (lethargy, loss of appetite ..) but next day and without any treatment, all his symptoms diseappeared as if nothing happened. What do you think ?

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is two types of kidney failure: acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease.

Acute kidney injury develops rapidly, with a sudden loss of renal function. Causes can be from toxins, infections or hemodynamic changes. Typically, the kidneys will stop producing urine vs chronic kidney disease where large amounts of urine are produced. Depending on the initial insult and level of treatment (dialysis, correcting electrolyte imbalances) the kitty can overcome the initial kidney injury but may be at an increased risk of developing CKD later in life.

Chronic kidney disease is more common is our senior kitties and is a progressive loss of kidney function. Unfortunately, there is no current cure for CKD. (A few places have done kidney transplants but not really a practical solution.)

As far as your kitty, I would question if she/he was truly in renal failure as acute kidney injuries need critical level care and chronic kidney disease can’t be cured. Though I’m glad your kitty is better! Hopefully, whatever it was has pasted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momomomo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Typically, the kidneys will stop producing urine vs chronic kidney disease where large amounts of urine are produced
I think even in acute kidney failure large amounts of urine are produced isn't it ?

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think even in acute kidney failure large amounts of urine are produced isn't it ?
I believe urine production can be variable depending on what stage the cat is in the disease process. But the reason these cats typically need dialysis is because no urine or very little urine is being produced. Thus, waste products normally eliminated by the kidney are building up within the cat’s blood.

After recovering from the initial acute kidney injury, then the cat can definitely start producing large amounts of urine. However, since the acute and initial insult is over and the cat has recovered - I see the increased urine production a result now of chronic kidney changes. The cat has developed CKD as a result of an acute kidney injury. (This is not typically how our kitties develop CKD but it can happen.)

It’s probably splitting hairs and doesn’t really matter how it’s defined but that’s just my $0.02.