Cats heart is too small?? Possible trachea narrowing

ZMICHELLE557

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My black and white kitty, Oscar who is 1.5 years old, started coughing and acting lethargic a few days ago. His purring seems off and he's vomiting food. Fast forward to today and I take him to our local vet who is concerned about his lungs and orders a xray. From the xray he sees that Oscar has an extremely narrow trachea that he believes is collapsing at times and he noticed he had fluid in his lungs however, something he's never seen or heard of before is that Oscar's heart is about half the size it should be. Almost like this heart only grew a left or right size. The length is average but the width is not even close. Problem is we're not sure if his issues are related to his heart or if this was an incidental finding. We started him on antibiotics and lasix to prevent infection and get rid of thr fluid. While I hope someone might know something that may lead us to a dx or treatment I also fear this isn't common at all. We do have a University Vet school that I plan on calling in the morning to see if they will do an echocardiogram for his heart. However when it comes to the trachea what does treatment look like? Again another rare issue for a cat. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they can do surgery on humans and insert a balloon to 'stretch' the trachea, I don't know about cats. I'm glad you found out about his condition early on, it sounds like a genetic problem he's had since birth. If the heart can sustain him now since he is fully grown, there is hope. I will pray for your little boy and you, you are both in my thoughts and prayers.......

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We do have a University Vet school that I plan on calling in the morning to see if they will do an echocardiogram for his heart. However when it comes to the trachea what does treatment look like? Again another rare issue for a cat. Any advise would be appreciated.
Hi. Sorry Oscar and you are going through this, but the university very well might also be able to help you with the trachea as well. Fingers crossed that they can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is tracheal surgery for dogs but you need to find a very qualified vet; I am glad that you have a contact with a vet school where you can get some help and I would bring up the trachea issue to them along with the heart. In dogs, it does go to an "end stage" which the surgery is an attempt to prevent.