Cat's had an itchy side bump for years, vets aren't a help. What is it??

lucyskyekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 11, is quite small for her age, and is being medicated for a hyperthyroid condition if that's anything relevant to what's going on!

She developed this external small, hard, white lump on her side a few years ago. At first we thought it was a piece of claw that got stuck in her, so that's what we told out vet and they removed it. Then it came back again, we pulled it free, but it left a raw, wet, and quite foul smelling wound that we had to bring her in for again, where she was given a shot, since the vet said it was infected. We thought that was the end, but it came back again, and another one formed on her opposite side, although the second one doesn't seem to be infected or hurt her, it's just white and crusty. However, every time the first one came back, it became larger and worse immediately, as we couldn't get her to stop licking and scratching at it. I moved across states with her and registered her at a new vet, hoping I'd get a new perspective. The vet kind of gaslighted me into believing that "there's no way she can reach it to lick or scratch" (when now I've seen her and stopped her from doing it every day). He said it wasn't harmful and that he'd have to put her under to surgically remove it, which at her age he doesn't want to do for such a "minor" problem since it'd be risky. That I understand, but since then all she's done is lick and scratch at it, it's gotten larger, and I can tell it's really, really bothering her!

Does anyone have ANY clue what this actually is? I've gotten a completely different answer from every vet I've asked.

All I can tell for sure is what it looks and feels like: it's hard, white, and crumbly. It's currently split, and in between and around the edges it looks very red, almost like the wound is open. There's also smaller, black bits around the edge.

I'd like to know because I'd like to treat her immediately, in any way I can, as it seems it's not likely my vet will do anything. Even if they could, I live in a city and the vet is booked out for months in advance, and I don't want this problem to get worse while I wait. I'd like to take care of my baby, but I gotta know what the actual problem is!! If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Thank you.

IMG-1089.JPG IMG-1090.JPG IMG-1092.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea what it might be, but I can't believe that either vet wouldn't consider taking a skin scraping to analyze. A lot less invasive than a biopsy or removal. The fact that it grows back means it is originating beneath the skin and removing the top portion is obviously not getting it all. At least with a skin scraping analysis, they might be able to figure out what it is and then go from there in terms of what to do about it. Ditto for the new one on the other side. Most skin scrapings do not even require any kind of sedation. I would ask the vet about this - or another vet if you have to.

I know most people don't like to be controversial with their vets, so you might not wish to prove that she can lick and scratch that area. But should you consider this as an option - take a video which you can then share with the vet.

In the meantime, no harm in applying chamomile tea to that area. Buy chamomile tea bags - from any local grocery store, as they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor do you want any additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use a soft cloth to gently wipe that area with the tea. You can do that a few times a day if you want. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent as well. It is also safe for her should she happen to ingest any. It could help her from scratching it so much and may even help to heal the wound I presume she is causing from the scratching and licking.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also...is there a University with a veterinary college that you can reach without undue stress? It may not be less expensive (and could be more), however, they are teaching cutting-edge medicine, with the best in diagnostics and equipment. They may be able to find something when others could not.