Cats fur has gone dry and discoloured

Ben0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats fur has gone dry and discoloured in some places. There’s a strip going from his tail to about half way up his back where his fur has gone dull, dry, and coarse. I’m wondering if anyone has seen this before and if they know what can help

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you have what looks like a Furminator next to your cat in the picture. Is it possible you have used it too much and removed too much of the outer layer of fur and what you are seeing is the undercoat? The undercoat is often a different texture and color and more course as it helps keep them insulated against the weather. To me, even looking at the size of the stripe, this is what it looks like. If that's not possible, then I would suggest a visit with a Vet to let them have a look at her to try to figure out what is wrong. A change in coat (without any human interference) is definitely a sign something is wrong. Last time one of mines' coat got rough looking, I took him in and he ended up having a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ben0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see you have what looks like a Furminator next to your cat in the picture. Is it possible you have used it too much and removed too much of the outer layer of fur and what you are seeing is the undercoat? The undercoat is often a different texture and color and more course as it helps keep them insulated against the weather. To me, even looking at the size of the stripe, this is what it looks like. If that's not possible, then I would suggest a visit with a Vet to let them have a look at her to try to figure out what is wrong. A change in coat (without any human interference) is definitely a sign something is wrong. Last time one of mines' coat got rough looking, I took him in and he ended up having a UTI.
We do have that brush but it only gets used maybe every other week when he has a lot of built up fur. We have an appointment for the vet, was just looking to see if someone on here knew anything first! Thanks!